Night lamp

Jackf22

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire
Hi guys, I have a Horsefield tort and he’s got a lamp for during the day that sits the tank nicely at 32 and the other half of the tank at roughly 20, however do I need to get him a night lamp to keep him warm enough in the evenings? Thanks!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
They don’t NEED Night Heat. As long as you keep the Temperature High enough,
Can you show a picture of the Enclosure. I keep mines at 70-98 degrees.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, I have a Horsefield tort and he’s got a lamp for during the day that sits the tank nicely at 32 and the other half of the tank at roughly 20, however do I need to get him a night lamp to keep him warm enough in the evenings? Thanks!
This depends on your temperatures. They normally don't need night heat, but a "normal" home here in the states is heated to 18-21 C at night. An adult horsfield can tolerate lower night temperatures as long as they can warm up during the day.

There are four temperatures for you to be concerned with. Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low. A warm side of 32 during the day is great. A cool side of 20 is acceptable, but remember that its very hot during the day in Afghanistan and the other areas where these tortoise come from this time of year. I'd prefer the cool side closer to 25-27 during the heat of the day. The basking area directly under the bulb should be close to 36-37. This is to simulate the warm sun that they would bask in to warm up outside. Just how cold does your house get at night? If it is above 13-14, you are probably okay with no night heat for an acclimated adult, but watch the tortoise and make sure he's basking and eating during the warmer days. Too many cold nights can make them want to hibernate. I think anything between 15 and 21C is a good night temp.

Jackf22

Leicestershire
Here’s a picture of his house, does everything seem to be okay with it? I’ve been told that directly under the bulb should be 36, but then I’ve read it should be 32?

Attachments

• D575CF1F-845B-40F5-BB1A-C2CEE72C3EFA.jpeg
    D575CF1F-845B-40F5-BB1A-C2CEE72C3EFA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here’s a picture of his house, does everything seem to be okay with it? I’ve been told that directly under the bulb should be 36, but then I’ve read it should be 32?
32 is a good temp for the warm side in daytime. Basking temp needs to be warmer.

I see a few things that need to be changed in your enclosure. All constructive criticism here intended to help your tortoise.
  • The pets at home substrate with the white bits in it is dangerous and should not be used. Encouraging a tortoise to eat sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a very bad idea.
  • The astro turf must go as well. That is an impaction hazard.
  • Your small tortoise needs damp substrate to maintain some moderate ambient humidity in its enclosure. Fine grade orchid bark works best, but cypress mulch or coco coir can be used too.
  • Those food and water bowls are not suitable for tortoises. The sides are too tall and too steep. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.
  • Those stick-on dial type thermometers from the pet store are unreliable and inaccurate. Get a small Digital unit from the hardware store instead. Something like this: thermopro-outdoor-hygrometers-tp-50-c3_max.jpg
  • That small enclosure is okay for now since your tortoise is small, but you'll need something much bigger as he or she grows.
  • The screen on the end of that lighting hood is filtering out light, heat, and UV (if any). You don't need that. What type of bulb is in there?
Read that care sheet. It will explain a lot.

Jackf22

Leicestershire
Here’s a picture of his house, does everything seem to be okay with it? I’ve been told that directly under the bulb should be 36, but then I’ve read it should be 32?i
32 is a good temp for the warm side in daytime. Basking temp needs to be warmer.

I see a few things that need to be changed in your enclosure. All constructive criticism here intended to help your tortoise.
  • The pets at home substrate with the white bits in it is dangerous and should not be used. Encouraging a tortoise to eat sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a very bad idea.
  • The astro turf must go as well. That is an impaction hazard.
  • Your small tortoise needs damp substrate to maintain some moderate ambient humidity in its enclosure. Fine grade orchid bark works best, but cypress mulch or coco coir can be used too.
  • Those food and water bowls are not suitable for tortoises. The sides are too tall and too steep. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.
  • Those stick-on dial type thermometers from the pet store are unreliable and inaccurate. Get a small Digital unit from the hardware store instead. Something like this: View attachment 296227
  • That small enclosure is okay for now since your tortoise is small, but you'll need something much bigger as he or she grows.
  • The screen on the end of that lighting hood is filtering out light, heat, and UV (if any). You don't need that. What type of bulb is in there?
Read that care sheet. It will explain a lot.

I have checked the accuracy of that thermostat and it’s accurate within a degree. It’s not a screen on the light hood it’s a wire mesh to stop burning. I asked the reptile expert at pets at home and she told me to buy that soil as it’s safe for them, as for the Astro turf I agree it’s not ideal how ever due to lockdown I’ve been unable to get out to get him any coco coir to use instead of that, when I’m able to get out I’ll be emptying the whole table and filling the whole thing with coco coir. Also I’m aware to that the bowls are not ideal, the I got a new food bowl so his previous shallow food bowl is now being used for water which he’s able to reach. Do you think the coco coir will be okay to put everyone in the table or will he need different r
Terrain? And also how do I have a basking area of 36, a hot side of 32 and a cool side of 20? And how do I keep the humidity up? Tha ks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have checked the accuracy of that thermostat and it’s accurate within a degree. It’s not a screen on the light hood it’s a wire mesh to stop burning. I asked the reptile expert at pets at home and she told me to buy that soil as it’s safe for them, as for the Astro turf I agree it’s not ideal how ever due to lockdown I’ve been unable to get out to get him any coco coir to use instead of that, when I’m able to get out I’ll be emptying the whole table and filling the whole thing with coco coir. Also I’m aware to that the bowls are not ideal, the I got a new food bowl so his previous shallow food bowl is now being used for water which he’s able to reach. Do you think the coco coir will be okay to put everyone in the table or will he need different r
Terrain? And also how do I have a basking area of 36, a hot side of 32 and a cool side of 20? And how do I keep the humidity up? Tha ks

Now why do you think I'd take the time to warn you about that substrate and the unreliable thermometer if they were perfectly fine? Unlike the pet shop lady, I'm not trying to sell you anything. Ask the pet shop lady how many sand impaction surgeries she has personally watched, listened to and smelled. Its not pleasant. Best to avoid that outcome.

Coco coir all over is fine, but coco coir is messy. Fine grade orchid bark works best.

You keep humidity up by keeping the substrate damp and the top partially covered. This is why vivariums are better for starting babies, despite what the pet shop lady trying to sell you that enclosure says.