Night Temps

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi All, I finally got my enclosure a 4ft by 2ft closed chamber as a temporary home for a Greek hatchling. I am planning to eventually move to a table but want to keep the humidity’s and heat initially to get off to a good start.

I just have a couple of questions about lighting and heating..

What do my overnight temps need to be? I know Russians like a temperature drop at night, is it the same for Greeks?

(I don’t have my tort yet I am just fine tuning my enclosure for a couple of weeks to make sure all my temps are running ok)

I woke up this morning and the digital ExoTerra thermometer was showing 64f that is with NO overnight heat... is that too cold? Obviously we are heading towards summer so it is not going to get any colder than that if anything it will be getting warmer, just wondering if I need to invest in the CHE now or whether is can wait until later in the year.

Also what % UVB do you recommend? It’s currently got an Arcadia 5% T8 tube... I’m thinking I need 10% but correct me if I’m wrong. Basking light I’m working on... just trying to get my temps right, what wattage would you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats on the new enclosure!

A night temp of 64 should suit any of the Testudo just fine.

10% UV tube will probably work for you, but only a UV meter can tell you for sure.

I use 65 watt foods for most application, but recently I'ave had to go lower for new enclosures with an 18" ceiling instead of my usual 24". Only your thermometer can answer this question definitively.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

10% UV tube will probably work for you, but only a UV meter can tell you for sure.

I use 65 watt foods for most application, but recently I'ave had to go lower for new enclosures with an 18" ceiling instead of my usual 24". Only your thermometer can answer this question definitively.

Thanks for the prompt reply Tom.
It’s reassuring to know that night temp is ok thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

@Tom : I believe Katie was asking about a hatchling. Does your answer still hold?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom : I believe Katie was asking about a hatchling. Does your answer still hold?
Yes. I let my russian and DT babies drop into the mid 60s at night, and @GBtortoises and @HermanniChris are continuously advising people to have a night drop for Testudo of all ages. As long as the baby can warm up during the day, 64 as a night time low should work well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not comfortable with that. My babies have 80-85F all over the whole enclosure during the day, and not cooler than 75F at night. I figure a 5 to 10 degree drop is good enough.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Another quick question, I acquired a heat mat, at the moment it’s stuck to bottom of viv but I was planning on removing it. If I kept it (it’s on a habistat thermostat with probe) could I use that for some gentle night time heat? Or are the considered dangerous? I mean I’m probably only needing to hear a few more degrees.