Nighttime temps Outdoors

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I've read that leopard torts' night temps should be 65-75 as the temp drop is beneficial(?).
In my indoor enclosure I have it set around 80's as I keep the humidity fairly high esp in the box he sleeps in.
I'm setting up his outdoor enclosure and would like to know if the 66-75 temp at night would be ok or should I keep the ambient temp at 80? Humidity has been pretty low in the outdoor insulated house 30's to 50's. Should I aim for what I have indoors (both temp and humidity)?
Yoshi is 2.5 yrs old and 9".

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I keep my temps up around 80. I also try to keep humidity up inside and out for all of my leopards. If the humidity is low, the lower temps might be ok, but high humidity and those temps could cause RI. I don't chance it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've read that leopard torts' night temps should be 65-75 as the temp drop is beneficial(?).
In my indoor enclosure I have it set around 80's as I keep the humidity fairly high esp in the box he sleeps in.
I'm setting up his outdoor enclosure and would like to know if the 66-75 temp at night would be ok or should I keep the ambient temp at 80? Humidity has been pretty low in the outdoor insulated house 30's to 50's. Should I aim for what I have indoors (both temp and humidity)?
Yoshi is 2.5 yrs old and 9".

You are reading different care advice and mixing bits and pieces. This can be fatal.

Leopard tortoises can certainly survive night temps of 65-75 in some cases, some of the time, but some of them also get sick and die at those temps. You should keep the night box at 80ish most of the time, but this can vary. In my hot, dry summers where daytime temps are around 100 every day, I set my night boxes to 70 or just unplug them because the tortoises are going to get fully warmed up all day everyday, whether they do the right things or not. In the winter when we are having cold rainy days with temps in the 50s, I turn my night box thermostats up to 85-86, so they can get warm enough after their grazing expeditions.

If you want your tortoise to continue growing smoothly, you need to add humidity to your night box too. Don't do this at colder temps though… It must be kept 80ish or higher with humidity.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Ok, I'll set it in the 80's and put moist substrate to increase humidity. Thanks for the info.
Research can sometimes be so confusing. Good thing I can always ask here for more reliable info.