Outside temp nighttime

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I bring yoshi in to sleep every night but I'm wondering if it would be ok for him to sleep outside on some nights this summer when temps don't go lower than 60.
Daytime it's cutrently 90's - low 100's.
I do not have a heated nightbox as the closest outlet is about 60 ft away from his enclosure.

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
What is his size over 6 he should be fine. as long as it is over 65

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Depending on the humidity where you are, under 80F can be a recipe for a Respiratory infection. I error on the side of caution here. I never let my Leopards temps get below upper 70's. I know some in drier climates do, and do not have problems though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In some circumstances some of the time they can survive those temps. I'm not interested in mere survival. I want my animals to thrive.

Your tortoise needs a heated and insulated night box with a closeable door for night time. This keeps him warm AND safe at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bring yoshi in to sleep every night but I'm wondering if it would be ok for him to sleep outside on some nights this summer when temps don't go lower than 60.
Daytime it's cutrently 90's - low 100's.
I do not have a heated nightbox as the closest outlet is about 60 ft away from his enclosure.

I know it's not exactly the safest thing in the world, but "extension cords"!!! Three of my outdoor sheds have electricity brought to them through extension cords. The one that's the most exposed, the leopard shed, has the cord buried in a PVC. You can see it coming out of the ground at the right side of the door:

leopard shed.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the info everyone. Guess I'll just take him in at night to be on the safe side.

There is no way to move his enclosure near a power supply coz it's a 15' x 12' space in the back of the garden. Outlets are near the driveway. i'll look into the options you guys provided.

Last edited: