No A/C? Safe for torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My air conditioner went out this weekend and I have two redfoot tortoises (roughly 2 years each). I live in New Orleans LA and its really hot in the apartment. At least 90 except overnight and even then its really hot. I know they are rainforest tortoises, so I don't think the heat will be too bad, but it is long days 90+ degree temp. I have two water dishes in their cage (2 rubber tubberwares together), they are out of direct sunlight from windows and I turned off their heatlamp. I also soaked them morning and night to make sure they are hydrated. I probably can't get air conditioning fixed for another 4 days.

Will they be okay or is it better to put in the 1 room I have air conditioning with their heat lamp on. I am worried about fire hazard though. My other option is to bring them to work (about 1.5 hour commute there and back), but I thought the transportation would stress them out more than the heat!

Any answers or tips would be appreciated. Should I freeze waterbottles and put in cage or what?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets too hot, move their habitat outside in the shade for a while. The breeze and some water or a fine mist will help keep them cool. When my weather is going to be in the 100's (degrees) I turn on their misting systems. (this is outside, of course) So maybe if you think its going to be too hot, you can set up a fan that just skims over the top of the habitat...not directly on them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
They are loving it!

No real need to "force" soak.. they don't need the contact and are smart enough to keep themselves 'hydrated'! Be sure to keep their water/soaking dishes full at all time.. and they have total dark hide area!

Two year-old redfoots will normally be in the 5" range.

Again....... you are more put-out by the heat than they are.

Now if you were talking serious "forest-tortoises" like hinge-backs that would be a different concern. They don't like those higher temps.

NERD

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for response! I just didn't want them to overheat. My one tortoise is about 5" and the other is just a bit smaller. They have 2 totally dark areas. I was just freaking out, but glad they are okay with hot temps like that.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.