Rf night time temp

Momo

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
Just wondering if they should have a drop in night time temp? There enclosure is 80-90, and the cool side air temp is 80ish and 90ish hot side. But the temp gun says the ground is 74-82 on the cool side. Just got them a week ago and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly! Thanks

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
A night time drop in temp is fine. The range you mention is what I feel comfortable with with my reds. However, mine are over 2 years old and around 6-8" in length. I usually recommend that if this is your first time owning a redfoot (no matter the age of the tort ) then you should err on the side of caution and stay above 80F until you get a feel for what your tortoise(s) wants or needs. And I definitely advocate 80F at all times for those under 1 year of age due to the more delicate (in my opinion) requirements of a baby tortoise. Hope this helps, and welcome to the redfoot family :D

Momo

5 Year Member
Ok great. I'm trying to keep everything at above 80s. Humidity and temperature. Thanks so much. And thank you for the welcome. I absolutely love them! They just had their bath and morning poo. Lol. I think their doing well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The pictures are a little washed out. Are they more on the yellow/orange side? Those are my favorites :)

Keep up the daily rituals of good husbandry and you'll be rewarded with funny, adorable little food monsters that hound you for attention in no time.