No nails on my russian tort

LizMoon

Location (City and/or State)
Buhl, Idaho
My adult russian tortoise is always trying to escape his enclosure and has begun to file down his nails to nothing. Even in his outdoor enclosure which is 10ft x10ft he constantly trys to get out. However since moving him to his indoor enclosure, which is 5ft x 3ft, for the winter he has filed his nails down to nubs.

His substrate is repit-bark and cypress mulch. His temp is 97 in his basking spot and 80 on his cool side. Humidity is 45%.

Should I increase his enclosure sizes for both indoor and out? I don't want him to hurt himself or get an infection.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My adult russian tortoise is always trying to escape his enclosure and has begun to file down his nails to nothing. Even in his outdoor enclosure which is 10ft x10ft he constantly trys to get out. However since moving him to his indoor enclosure, which is 5ft x 3ft, for the winter he has filed his nails down to nubs.

His substrate is repit-bark and cypress mulch. His temp is 97 in his basking spot and 80 on his cool side. Humidity is 45%.

Should I increase his enclosure sizes for both indoor and out? I don't want him to hurt himself or get an infection.
Cool side for an adult Russian should be closer to 70. Over night low down around 60. The only reason to go warmer would be in an effort to prevent brumation. Is that why you are keeping is so warm?

What material is the side of the indoor enclosure made of? Outdoor?

How much plant life, furniture and hiding spots are available in each enclosure? Can we see pictures of the enclosures? That might help us understand the problem better.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure if increasing the size will help with what he's doing, but it sure wouldn't hurt, at least the inside one which minimum should be a 4x8