Tortoise sleeping lots

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone.
A little worried about my Horsefield.

He is constantly sleeping and always go back to the same corner of his enclosure where he ends up really cold. He would probably stay there all day if I left him. Also, he burrows down to the bottom of his substrate until his nails are scratching on the wood.

What could be the problem? Any help much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello

How long have you had your tortoise? They are notoriously slow to adapt to new homes, it can take months for them to start behaving normally.

What are the 4 important temperatures in your enclosure?
1. Directly under the basking lamp 2. Warm end, 3. Cool end, 4. Overnight minimum

Do you soak your tortoise? What are you feeding him?

Finally, could you posta picture of the enclosure as we might spot something that will help.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I suspect your tortoise is being kept to cold. They get less active when cool, what are your temps?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Move your light/heat source over closer to the spot he likes to sleep, then position a hiding place over there for him.

OurTommy

UK
Hello

How long have you had your tortoise? They are notoriously slow to adapt to new homes, it can take months for them to start behaving normally.

What are the 4 important temperatures in your enclosure?
1. Directly under the basking lamp 2. Warm end, 3. Cool end, 4. Overnight minimum

Do you soak your tortoise? What are you feeding him?

Finally, could you posta picture of the enclosure as we might spot something that will help.

Under the lamp it gets to about 95-100. The lamp points to the middle of table so there's no real warm or cold end.

Inside the log where he sometimes sleeps is currently high 70's to low 80's. The area where he keeps going to during the day to hide will be much lower than that I would have thought.

Yes we are soaking him. Try to do it every other day as a minimum.

In regards to that picture. The foil which you can see in the opening I have put it to stop him going into that cold hide to sleep all day.

We feed him mainly a mixture of romaine, Pak choi, baby leaf greens, kale and other greens. Will be looking to pick some fresh weeds as the weather has started to change here in UK.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401444424.408734.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are using a CHE for basking. To create a good hotspot underneath it, it must be pointing straight down vertically. At an angle, it is largely heating air.

It is a tort's instinct to hide away. I would not expect it to be active all day, or even under the basking lamp all day. Adding a tray of living lettuce from your supermarket, may encourage it to browse. Your enclosure is very open, so if he is new he will feel quite threatened at not being able to skulk away. Plants really help.

Torts can take months to get used to a new home and start behaving normally, so you do have to be patient. You also have resist the urge to watch their every move as you are intimidating even if you don't mean to be. Left to his own devices he will feel more inclined to be brave and explore.