No power in the UK

Helen Ruff

Location (City and/or State)
Alnwick
Hi, I’m from the north east of England and we’ve had a power outage from storm Arwen for a week now.
Currently in my kitchen, in front of the wood burner I have 2 Aldabras, 5 Sulcatas, and two Herman’s . I also have two very large Sulcatas in a shed outside which I’ve managed to warm with a gas bottle and radiant heater….. they are too large to move inside…. And as well as my husband and I , I have 6 dogs also trying to keep warm….. plus a bearded dragon.
I’m currently heating up water for shallow baths and putting hot water bottles underneath them all. It’s very difficult and we’ve arranged to collect a generator tomorrow but it may not be sufficient to heat up all of their enclosures.
Does anyone have any other ideas how I can maintain their temperatures ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you may have it covered. Warm water soaks but you have to keep the water warm 24/7. Heat up rocks and place them near the torts and cover it all so heat stays in, just be sure the torts can't touch them.
A propane or kerosene heater would work. Just be sure to have ventilation.
If you lose power a lot a whole house generator would be a great investment.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
For any small enough to fit in storage bins/containers. I would put them in the car with the engine and heater running... as long as you're not driving anywhere, your car can run for an awfully long time on a single tank of gas.

If you keep the car in a garage, I'd make sure to prop a door and/or a window open so that the exhaust doesn't asphyxiated the torts.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, I’m from the north east of England and we’ve had a power outage from storm Arwen for a week now.
Currently in my kitchen, in front of the wood burner I have 2 Aldabras, 5 Sulcatas, and two Herman’s . I also have two very large Sulcatas in a shed outside which I’ve managed to warm with a gas bottle and radiant heater….. they are too large to move inside…. And as well as my husband and I , I have 6 dogs also trying to keep warm….. plus a bearded dragon.
I’m currently heating up water for shallow baths and putting hot water bottles underneath them all. It’s very difficult and we’ve arranged to collect a generator tomorrow but it may not be sufficient to heat up all of their enclosures.
Wow
I feel for you.
You've got your hands full.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Helen - I am so sorry for what you are going through - I am in Devon, and have been reading about the situation where you are, and especially thinking about people with tortoises - but your own situation is beyond horrific. I do so hope you get the electricity back soon.
Best wishes - thinking of you a lot
Angie

COmtnLady

Colorado
If you can build an open fire outside on a fairly level spot, take the rack out of your oven, put a brick, stone, or expendable coffee mug under each corner to hold it up out of the fire. Sit pans of water on it, don't burn yourself or catch anything else on fire.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Hey Helen, how's it going now? Is the power back on?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was wondering how any reptile owners were coping with the prolonged power cuts in the north, it's been horrendous for everyone affected.
Sounds like you are doing a great job so far, and very brave of you to take on so many large and non hibernating species in the UK's climate!!
There are also the hand warmers/heat pads that places like Poundland sell you could try to use, I've not used them myself but seen them recommended here, you may need to put them in something e.g. socks, for safety.
Any news on when your power will be restored?
Good luck.

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
Many thanks to all of you kind members who responded….. some with very innovative ideas too.
We managed to get our power reconnected after 10 days. It was tough though. All torts now happy and resettled into their enclosures.
We have now invested in a 25kw generator for any future power outages ….. (or rather my husband has…). As he started to get a bit fed up with me setting the alarm every 3 hours over night to do checks and refill hot water bottles !
I think that the Uk climate is massively challenging between November and March but my tortoises have been a lifesaver for me during lockdown. So much pleasure in watching them and caring for them every day. I’ve felt very supported with the information and practical advice on this forum ….. so thanks to all.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Many thanks to all of you kind members who responded….. some with very innovative ideas too.
We managed to get our power reconnected after 10 days. It was tough though. All torts now happy and resettled into their enclosures.
We have now invested in a 25kw generator for any future power outages ….. (or rather my husband has…). As he started to get a bit fed up with me setting the alarm every 3 hours over night to do checks and refill hot water bottles !
I think that the Uk climate is massively challenging between November and March but my tortoises have been a lifesaver for me during lockdown. So much pleasure in watching them and caring for them every day. I’ve felt very supported with the information n band practical advice on this forum ….. so thanks to all.
So glad power is back & things have gotten back to "normal." Torts are endlessly interesting & entertaining. Generators are the best back-up we ever created when power outages occur. Stay warm & happy holidays!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think that the Uk climate is massively challenging between November and March but my tortoises have been a lifesaver for me during lockdown. So much pleasure in watching them and caring for them every day. I’ve felt very supported with the information and practical advice on this forum ….. so thanks to all.
Glad to hear that power is finally back.