Heat during a power outage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I am the proud owner of 2 sulcatas. I have Chomper who is about a year old and still inside, I also have Bowser, who I think is about 10-20 years old and lives outside. I live in southeastern GA and we've been getting hit with some pretty bad storms for the past week. I just wanted to know what the best method to keep Chomper warm is should there be a power outage. I'm not so worried about Bowser since he's a fairly large tortoise and its pretty warm outside.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
Yes we have! What kind of enclosure do you have? Are the warming elements inside or outside the cage?

If inside, I'd throw a couple blankets on the enclosure as insulation. Just like your fridge, try not to open it too much. If the lights are outside, I'd wait to put the blankets on after the lights cooled so you get as much out of them as you can. Covering an open top enclosure will trap heat in.

Worse comes to worse, maybe warm soaks (just be careful not to chill him by letting the water cool). Or taking him outside (some place dry, like a porch) in a tub, since its still in the 80's outside (well since its DROPPED down to the 80's).

Just be careful if your raising your sully with the Hot & Humid method, because No Hot and Only Humid could give him a respiratory infection.

Maybe others that have this issue in the past can chime in as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Generator….and don’t forget the gas. Although this will need to be rotated and used as it too can go bad. Also do not leave gas stored in your generator for long periods of time …( a common issue with back up power supplies) :D

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Beck- You're in Savannah? I am as well! And he's in a closed enclosure so the heat stays in pretty well.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I am. Very cool you're in Savannah too. You weren't the person strolling downtown with their medium sized sulcata, that my friend saw, were you?

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Beck said:
I am. Very cool you're in Savannah too. You weren't the person strolling downtown with their medium sized sulcata, that my friend saw, were you?

Just thought I'd add: Tybee Island is one of my favorite places I've ever visited!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pocket hand warmers for smaller torts, and 5 gallon jugs of hot water for larger torts. Luckily, when the power goes out, the gas still works.

Still JDs plan is best. Generators are the only way to fly...

Status
Not open for further replies.