Noms

Jenna nico

Hey guys! Question.

I got my baby Leo about three weeks ago - when we first weighed him he was 28 grams. He slowly went up to 30 grams, but is now back down to 28. However..he eats a lot! He's active. His eyes are fine. His temps are fine. But he does poop a lot. I don't want to automatically assume something bad, but why is it taking forever my my baby to gain weight!?

He eats a mix of greens, mazuri, aloe, dandelion, hibiscus leaf and flower, grass..

Attachments

• IMG_4194.PNG
    IMG_4194.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
Can you post photos of his enclosure? do you soak him daily? What is the temperature and humidity in his enclosure?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yes. It could be a hydration issue. Torts get some fluids from their food but not enough to promote growth. Leo's raised dry grow slow and pyramided.babies need soaked in warm water daily. About a half inch. They should be in a closed chamber setup to hold heat and humidity in. A large tank works. You can get a plexi glass top cut at a hardware store....

Last edited:

Jenna nico

We soak him daily for about 25 minutes with water temps mid 90's. I also see him drinking from his water dish sometimes.

The enclosure temps range from 85-98 during the day, 78-85 at night. I don't know the exact humidity, but we have the coconut moss and frequently spray his enclosure. I'm at work now and don't have pics of the enclosure from the outside!! :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Leopard tortoises don't grow very fast.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
He's pretty young, his weight won't change very much for a few months, like Yvonne said, they grow at a slower rate and being a baby baby, it will seem longer. His weight could change 2-3 grams when he goes to the bathroom...I wouldn't worry just yet ;)

Jenna nico

He's pretty young, his weight won't change very much for a few months, like Yvonne said, they grow at a slower rate and being a baby baby, it will seem longer. His weight could change 2-3 grams when he goes to the bathroom...I wouldn't worry just yet ;)
Thanks!! I hope so. I'm going to watch him closely. But does anyone know how the vet would even know if something was wrong with him since he IS so young?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Thanks!! I hope so. I'm going to watch him closely. But does anyone know how the vet would even know if something was wrong with him since he IS so young?

That really depends on the vet and if they have a lot of experience with tortoises, if you can find a vet that has that, you've found a gold mine.

Jenna nico

That really depends on the vet and if they have a lot of experience with tortoises, if you can find a vet that has that, you've found a gold mine.
Thankfully I found one around me that's experienced with tortoises! I may be paying a visit Sooner rather than later though :(