Normal eating habits-need advice

Kori5

Hi :). So previously I opened a topic about my Hermann male of aprox.15 years who did not want to eat anything than tomatoes. I listened to your advice and made him a much bigger enclousure 7 ft 4 ft which took half of my room :D. I know it is still on the small side but he spends summers in our large garden. He started eating the good stuff this sunday, ate twice and a bunch of dandelions plantain endive raddichio etc. And he kept eating everyday, yesterday twice. And today nothing and I'm worried again. He was active today, his substrate is coconut coir temps are right and he seems ok. Is that normal or is it ok for them not to eat for a day or two? :)

Kori5

Him eating weeds made me so happy because he did have some tomato addiction. And I know they can go without food for a month but I'm trying to stay in the normal spectre :). I soak him everyday and did baby food soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This time of year many of the Testudo species want to go off their food. The shorter days and cooler temps tell their bodies that hibernation time is imminent and they need to prepare by having an empty gut.

If you do not want to hibernate, the solution is to warm up the enclosure, lengthen the daylight hours and perhaps add some light to brighten thing up a bit indoors. Warm soaks every other day usually help keep them up too.

Kori5

Temps are room is 25 C basking spot 33 night time about 20. He has a 10% uvb uva and a spot heat lamp. My bedroom is very light and lighting is on because I study. Also the weather here is still sunny but cold. Is there anything else I can do or am I worrying too much? Thank you :)