Normal plastron for juvenile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettypixilated

5 Year Member
While I should have given them a complete once over when I first brought my little guys home, I have had them for a few weeks and when I took them out while I refreshed their bedding, I turned both over and noticed the smaller one, Oliver's plastron to still be....healing? I am guessing this is left over from yoke sak healing, but as I am a new owner and also a bit of a worrier at times I wanted to ask for input here.

If anyone can give feedback you could help put my mind at ease!

Their house is an opaque travel box, 2.5 feet high by roughly 3.2 feet long, with a UVA/UVB light and infrared light, keeping the enclosure between 85-90 on the warm side and 70-75 on the cool side. Bedding is cypress mulch with sphagnum moss on top/ mixed in, and it is misted a couple times a day with warm water. I have a hide box on both ends, and some times one will be under each and other times they will share...

I am pretty sure this is fine for them, but maybe it could be a little warmer?

Attachments

• 20121218_143528.jpg
    20121218_143528.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 62

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure. Maybe others will be able to tell if its still the yolk sac area healing or something else. Good luck, hope all is fine with her/him

prettypixilated

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
How old are they?

I am guessing 5-6 months? The store said they were hatched between June and July, and one is a bit bigger than the other. The bigger one has a smooth even colored plastron.

prettypixilated

5 Year Member
The do not seem to have any rot/ fungus signs like spots or smell.... I may be being super paranoid but I keep looking for pictures of plastrons in stages, without much success....

Status
Not open for further replies.