Plastron Problems

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I am wondering what is going on with my Cherry Heads' plastron.

S/he had severe fungus and some rot when I acquired her in July of last year. Background: S/he lived in Petsmart's quarantine room in a 5 gal tank with a 25w heat bulb and was fed kale and carrots for an estimated six months. I was told s/he was no longer eating. The store did not want to have the tortoise any longer and were going to put "her" down. A friend alerted me of this so I set up a tank and picked "her" up.

I treated her for the fungus/rot (used Betadine for the first scrub, then continued with Chlorhexidine and 1% Clotrimazole cream). I'm now not sure what I'm seeing. I thought it would be scarring, from healing but I'm not sure. In certain spots, there's some brown colouring to the shell and there are some areas that look dry? The other thing is, the plastron is very pliable. If lightly pushed on, it moves easily.

I will start off by asking what others think it is and will answer any questions that follow. Thanks for your time and any advice.

The first two pictures are what it looks like now. The last two pictures will show what it looked like when I brought her home.

2015-05-17_13.45.18.jpg 2015-05-17_13.45.48.jpg 1407168053315.jpg 1407168023677.jpg

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along with advice. I'm kinda worried about how small your tortoise is for her age (I could be wrong, though). And you mentioned how the plastron has some give to it.. reminds me of the unfortunate baby sully stories of being kept dry during the hatchling stage.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
The first 2 pics look almost like green algae ? Does it feel slimy ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you now,have her on dry substrate? They need high humdiity but top layer of substrate dry, as they are prone to shell rot. I'm not seeing anything that I would think is abnormal, just coloring coming back in maybe? I'm no expert though, so I will alert a couple that maybe be able to,help. @tortadise @Yvonne G

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I answered you on your other thread. It's fungus the start of shell rot . Maybe a mod can combine this thread with the other one . @ Yvonne G

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I answered you on your other thread. It's fungus the start of shell rot . Maybe a mod can combine this thread with the other one . @ Yvonne G
The first two photos, is also she'll rot? Is it just because it's dark? That's all I really see is the darkness.

Randi

Canada
I posted two, one in general tortoise health and one in the species specific area for red foots. I apologize for this.

I received her from Petsmart in really rough shape. Her carapace would move if pressed on, and her plastron was so soft you'd be able to see where your finger was pressing. The carapace is rock hard now. The plastron is better then before but it still worries me that it has some give to it. Would soaking her in calcium be of any use? I have been letting her outside for an hour a few times a week (if the weather is nice) as getting her to eat anything with calcium is a challenge. She also has a t5 HO fixture and bulb. Her basking spot is 30 degrees Celsius, her warm side is 28 degrees Celsius and her cool side is 26 degrees Celsius. Temps remain the same during night time.

When I brought her home, she had two indentations. One on the plastron that looked like the place where yolks are absorbed and one on top of the carapace near the head, like unfolding from an egg. I suspect she is a lot younger then I've been lead to believe - I've been told she's about a year and a half in age. She's a little over 80 grams in weight. I'm not sure if she's stunted.. ?? She has doubled in size since I received her and she has grown in length. She was under 4" when I received her and now she's over 4". I asked Petsmart for records of when she was received at the store and if the vendor included a birth date. I was told no, and that even if they knew, they couldn't tell me. It would make things easier if I knew her age.

She currently is living in a 75 gallon long tank. The humidity gets as low as 89% and as high as 99%. I use a humidifier. She lives on a few inches of cypress mulch covered in coco coir. It could probably be drier then it is. Any tips for keeping the ground dry but maintaining humidity in the air? Maybe my hose is pointed the wrong way. It is a closed chamber.

As for the fungus.. she does not smell and the marks I am seeing do not come off when scratched. It would seem like it's part of her plastron? If you look in the crevices where the legs are, there is a brown tinge and also what appears to be dry areas. I will restart treatment and see if it goes away. Thank you all for your replies.

Last edited:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It is the start of shell rot . Clean her with mild soap and water dry her off apply betadine one time .Day two clean with mild soap and water apply athletes foot cream . Keep applying the foot cream for two weeks daily . As for your setup you should only have to run the humidifier for fifteen minutes two times a week for a closed chamber . If your substrate is getting to wet from it . I put the water bowl under the hose so it doesn't leak water into my substrate . Also you can put clean yard leaves in your enclosure as these guys love to hide in them .

Randi

Canada
Thank you for the advice. My humidifier was on for hours a day! I will now be drastically reducing the amount that it's being used for. That will keep the top layer dry. I have started treating her for fungus. Did the Betadine a half hour ago so tomorrow I'll start the Chlorhexidine scrubs and Clotrimazole 1% cream. Thanks again.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem ,that's what the forum is about .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Make sure you allow the shell to be dry after clomitizole is placed. Scrub with chlorhexadine first dab dry then apply anti fungal ointment.

Randi

Canada
Thank you for the reply. Will do! I will post an update with pictures in two weeks in hopes that it is looking better!

I've seen pictures on this forum of beautiful babies with beautiful shells and plastrons, I'm envious! My hopes are that her plastron will be as nice!