Plastron Problems

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I am wondering what is going on with my Cherry Heads' plastron.

S/he had severe fungus and some rot when I acquired her in July of last year. Background: S/he lived in Petsmart's quarantine room in a 5 gal tank with a 25w heat bulb and was fed kale and carrots for an estimated six months. I was told s/he was no longer eating. The store did not want to have the tortoise any longer and were going to put "her" down. A friend alerted me of this so I set up a tank and picked "her" up.

I treated her for the fungus/rot (used Betadine for the first scrub, then continued with Chlorhexidine and 1% Clotrimazole cream). I'm now not sure what I'm seeing. I thought it would be scarring, from healing but I'm not sure. In certain spots, there's some brown colouring to the shell and there are some areas that look dry? The other thing is, the plastron is very pliable. If lightly pushed on, it moves easily.

I will start off by asking what others think it is and will answer any questions that follow. Thanks for your time and any advice.

The first two pictures are what it looks like now. The last two pictures will show what it looked like when I brought her home.

2015-05-17_13.45.18.jpg 2015-05-17_13.45.48.jpg 1407168053315.jpg 1407168023677.jpg

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Well I don't know too much about this as still a novice myself but just from the pics it looks like you have done a great job and the plastron is looking much healthier. Thank goodness you took him in.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well , that's fungus . Here is how you fix it . Day one clean it with mild soap and a tooth brush . Then apply betadine one time . Day two clean with mild soap ,the apply a athletes foot cream . Keep using the foot cream for two weeks . Now to fix what is causing it . Your substrate is to wet . The key is to keep humidity up without wet substrate .