Nornal tortoise behavoir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qasimja

5 Year Member
well i built the tortoise table and i brought the tortoise home today when i put him in hes been sitting in one corner and he kind of dug himself a little hole is this normal? oh i used cypress mulch as the substrate and its a russian tortoise juvenile

Oh 1 more thing when feeding do i just lay the food inside his pen and he will find it? and how offten do you recommend feeding

artemiss

5 Year Member
If you just brought him home today then he is simply adjusting to his new environment. Hes probably just a little nervous about being moved so give him a few days to 'come out'. Just make sure you have all his needs met, in terms of providing proper food, heat, etc. Tortoises dig in to their substrate to regulate their temp, or simply just to feel 'safe'. Just be patient and Im sure he will be more social pretty soon.

Qasimja

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info also btw do i just leave the food in his pen? he wont eat from me so i didnt want to make him any more nervous

wpk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Qasimja said:
Thanks for the info also btw do i just leave the food in his pen? he wont eat from me so i didnt want to make him any more nervous

Place the food in his pen, then place him in front of it so he knows it's there, then leave him alone. It will probably take awhile for him to start eating. Remove the uneaten food in the evening and put fresh down every morning.

Qasimja

5 Year Member
wpk said:
Qasimja said:

Place the food in his pen, then place him in front of it so he knows it's there, then leave him alone. It will probably take awhile for him to start eating. Remove the uneaten food in the evening and put fresh down every morning.

Thanks for that information

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am the king of normal, so I say what is normal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.