Northern Ca

Jenminer

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Does anyone keep Aldabras in northern Ca? I know they do in southern Ca with success. I’d love to have one but only if it was safe and the animal would have a good quality of life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've not seen it done with success in Southern CA. I've seen it done though. I think the CA climate is too dry. Galops do better here if you want a giant. There are other species better suited to our CA climate.

Jenminer

Northern California
Yeah, it’s probably a pipe dream of mine. I don’t want the animal to suffer, I was just curious if anyone had attempted to keep one in northern Ca and if it was possible or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, it’s probably a pipe dream of mine. I don’t want the animal to suffer, I was just curious if anyone had attempted to keep one in northern Ca and if it was possible or not.
It is possible to keep any species anywhere with enough time, money and effort. Its not practical to keep a humidity needing, tropical island, giant tortoise in a dry temperate climate.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I am keeping 2 in Northern California though they are still small. They have been spending time outside and doing grate. I am confident I will be able to keep them healthy and happy as they grow with the use of a humid night house misters and plent of plants and shade