Not as active

franklin444

Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A
In the past week I have noticed that my tortoise has not been as active or moving around.. I have not changed anything like temp or substrate or diet and i soak home every 2 or 3 days.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Type of tortoise? Pictures of enclosure? Temps? Lights being used? The point is we need all the details possible to help you out

franklin444

U.S.A
sorry i did not tell you earlier. I can not take pics but his enclosure is 2x4 feet because he is only 1 year old and his carapace is 3x4 inches. And he is a male Russian tortoise. He has a 50 watt heat and uv lamp and his enclosure is always about 95-100 in his basking spot and 75-80 iin his cooler spot. He also has a zoo med uva/uvb lamp.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
You have a russian male right? You say your tortoise is a year old and 3x4 inches. I have a 5 year old russian who is a little over 4 inches in length and weighs 410 grams. He's quite normal sized for a male and his age. So I can't imagine he's a year old tbh. Is he from the petstore?

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
What's his weight and are you sure you've measured correctly?

How long do you have him?

You say a 50 watt heat and uv lamp, you mean combined, a mercury vapor? Because they don't excist in 50 watts. They excist from 80 watts and up. So 50 watt basking bulb is what you mean? What kind of uvb do you use, a coil or bulb? They're both not great and coils are bad. A uvb t5 tube is better.

What kind of substrate do you use?

Do you soak the tort and how much/long?
What do you feed?

How long do you have the lights on?
Humidity in enclosure?
How do you measure your temps? The only accurate way is with a gun or digital with a probe.

franklin444

U.S.A
as stated before I soak him every 2-3 days. I have a halid exo terra sunray lamp. On the box and instructions it says that it is 50 watts. I leave the lights on for about 12 hours a day. My other lamp that is uvb is a zoo med repti sun 10.0 uvb light. I use cocnut coir substrate and I do measure my temperature with a temp gun. I feed him dark leafy greens and weeds and spring mix. Once every 2 weeks to a month I will give him a small piece of carrot or a very small amount of fruit or allo vera. his humidity is about 55-60.

Last edited:

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Ok, so how long do you have him? If he's new, moving is a great stress factor for them. It's possible they do decent the first few days/weeks and then their behaviour changes. Moving, change, has alot of impact on them.

What is his weight? How did you measure him, cause if he's really the size you've mentioned, it's almost impossible he's the age you've mentioned. A picture of the enclosure and the tort would help a lot too.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands

franklin444

U.S.A
I remeasured him and he is a little smaller than i thought. He ways about 350 grams. He is not new I have had him for about a year now. This morning he was perking up and when I gave him fresh greens he came over to them. He then walked around his cage a little bit. I'm thinking that he WAS constipated because this morning he had a very large poop and then as much more active. I am going to take him out into the grass after I finish typing this. (btw I always watch him when he gos outside.)

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Hmm, sounds like he's okay now. He might need more fiber in his diet. Collard greens, Swiss chard and mustard greens are all high in fiber.