Not eating!?

Peyalice

Hi! I'm new to this forum, I've wanted a tortoise for years and finally I have been able to get one! I researched them for about a year before I actually purchased one. Everything I read said that when you purchase them from a pet store such as petco or something like that, they are very unhealthy. So.. Here's the story. I did purchase one yesterday, from a women near where I live. She was a little old lady who said she just couldn't provide the care it needed anymore. She's a Russian Tortoise, her name is Olive Xavia. She's got a good sized enclosure. And she looks healthy, the woman kept her and her enclosure very clean and she had a lot of stuff for her, but I've been really worried about her, because Since I got her, she hasn't eaten. It's been since yesterday and my mom said, she was probably just nervous and getting used to things. So I did some research on it, and it said it could be because she's not getting enough heat, her basking spot is at 80 degrees. I think it should be warmer for her. So we are going to go and get a warmer heat lamp tomorrow and see if that helps. But, do you guys have anything that might help? Is it that she's nervous? Do you think it's the heat? Anything would be greatly appreciated! Even just information to know about my RT!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Please forgive me for asking but did you ask the ladie what did she feed the RT how did she care for it ? Do you have a picture of her and the enclosure to post ? Are you giving the tort a soak and how often ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She does need a hotter basking spot, like 95 degrees. However, 80 is not cold for a Russian. Give her some time too get accustomed to the move. Be sure to have water available 24/7 and maybe even give her a soak every other day in warm water until she does start to eat.

floss1988

Uk
Hi there can I ask Whats in her food dish and is that a plastic storage box the tort is in..... Lol have u any uv light there 2 many thanks

Peyalice

That was what the lady was giving her before. I replaced it with a spring mix, which has spinach, collard greens, mustard greens, ect. And yes she is in a plastic storage bin. And I do have uv light. I have UVA and UVB.

She at this morning!! I replaced her greens from yesterday with new ones and she ate about half of what was in the bowl! :D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you for answering my questions . But now you got people answering your question (. We needed the info.) but can you handle one more question ? What's in that food dish ??? And you can save some money loose the bark and just use some of your garden soil . Great looking tort .

Peyalice

Your more then welcome! Thank you for getting back to me! And you know, I don't know what she had in her food dish. But I got rid of it and put some greens in for her, and she ate this morning. Today I'm going to soak her in some warm water for awhile and keep doing that for about 2-3 weeks. And yes the bark. That what she had in there when I got her. I'm going to replace it with coconut fiber. And do you think garden soils would be ok? I live in Iowa. We're covered with snow and ice right now. But in the summer do you think I could use garden soil??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-russian.htm

The only thing that I personally do not agree with on general information....I would not use sand as substrate, this can increase the hazard of impaction.....

This species is comical and also the spider man of the tortoise world...they can scale fences straight up if in the right situation;

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28398.html

:D

Also, you may want to inquire with the prior caregiver if she supported brumation for this tortoise so you will not be surprised come next winter....

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello again Peyalice
Coconut fiber will keep the humidity up but the reason I said garden soil it will have your local weed seeds in it and with a little water they ( weeds ) will grow and your tort will feed on them.

Peyalice

Oh that's a really good idea!! I'll have to find some then that doesn't have any pesticides or anything in it. Thank you so much!