Not Quite Cherry

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South South Texas,
You guys know I've been hunting for Cherryheads, but yesterday, I had the chance to buy 4 little redfoots. I very nearly passed on them, but I was told that they've been fed exclusively on kale, and that decided me. I brought them home and put them in the yard while I threw together a 50 gal livestock tank to hold them temporarily. I made them up a mix of mesclun, cactus, hibiscus, lemon grass and banana, fed them, soaked them, weighed them and put them in a quiet spot. IMG_2250.JPG
I'll be moving them into one of these in a few weeks, meanwhile the tub is so much bigger than the 20 gal they were sharing with two others.
The 20x 20 yard isn't finished yet, and they'd get lost in it even if it was, so I'm thinking of building them a little 4x8 or 8x8 run under that little oak tree.
I've kept redfoot before, but never babies, so i'm guessing when I say they're weighs are a little low. IMG_2252.JPG

#1, 3 7/16" 136g
#2, 3 3/16" 123g
#3, 3 7/16" 129g
#4, 3 1/2" 136g
You who have redfoot babies, let me know. Anyway they'll be getting a proper diet from here on, and spending plenty of time outside.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You guys know I've been hunting for Cherryheads, but yesterday, I had the chance to buy 4 little redfoots. I very nearly passed on them, but I was told that they've been fed exclusively on kale, and that decided me. I brought them home and put them in the yard while I threw together a 50 gal livestock tank to hold them temporarily. I made them up a mix of mesclun, cactus, hibiscus, lemon grass and banana, fed them, soaked them, weighed them and put them in a quiet spot. View attachment 210868
I'll be moving them into one of these in a few weeks, meanwhile the tub is so much bigger than the 20 gal they were sharing with two others.
The 20x 20 yard isn't finished yet, and they'd get lost in it even if it was, so I'm thinking of building them a little 4x8 or 8x8 run under that little oak tree.
I've kept redfoot before, but never babies, so i'm guessing when I say they're weighs are a little low. View attachment 210869

#1, 3 7/16" 136g
#2, 3 3/16" 123g
#3, 3 7/16" 129g
#4, 3 1/2" 136g
You who have redfoot babies, let me know. Anyway they'll be getting a proper diet from here on, and spending plenty of time outside.
Those weights look to be ok to me.
Plenty of shade will be needed.
Im not sure but I think oak is poisonous.
Torts look good, and yes you will lose them in a vast area. I lost one in 4 x 8 the other day. Eventually found it dug right in under the grass.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At that size, anything and anyone can pick one up and walk away with it. Aslo, Redfoot babies are good climbers.
Make sure that baby enclosures are semi secure with no way to climb out, etc.
Adults are generally too heavy for some predators and can't climb very well. (as well)
Also, adults and babies should not be kept together as adults do NOT recognize little ones and will knock them over, trample over them, etc.
Then there is your neighbor....................

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
I suppose I could build them a 4x8 with a couple of planks across the top to put shady plants on, and 1 or 2 hinged lids with hardware cloth?
Crazy neighbor too chubbly to get over 6' tall, cactus-lined privacy fence!