Not very active, should I be concerned?

Location (City and/or State)
Highland ca
Hey everybody! So my turtle Lucy pretty much stays buried throughout her cage throughout the day unless I take her out of her little hole to feed her or take her outside… Is this normal? Do they hibernate? Thank you! Her habitat temps range from 70 to 85 and her substrate is nice and humid now

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hey everybody! So my turtle Lucy pretty much stays buried throughout her cage throughout the day unless I take her out of her little hole to feed her or take her outside… Is this normal? Do they hibernate? Thank you! Her habitat temps range from 70 to 85 and her substrate is nice and humid now
A warm welcome the forum.

Please post pics of your tort.

Torts don't necessary have to hibernate.

Highland ca
A warm welcome the forum.

Please post pics of your tort.

Torts don't necessary have to hibernate.
Thank you! Ya I’m just wondering if “hibernation” is why she is so inactive. She only seems to move around when I move her, even when we take her outside to enjoy the day she often intends to burry herself.

Attachments

• C9C8FFBA-D725-46F7-9E1C-9F993ADDD8D3.jpeg
    C9C8FFBA-D725-46F7-9E1C-9F993ADDD8D3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • B5221FFD-DD7F-44E3-BE11-8F86C5DD996B.jpeg
    B5221FFD-DD7F-44E3-BE11-8F86C5DD996B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 9C1E3C67-A850-440C-BF2E-3E1AAD0406FE.jpeg
    9C1E3C67-A850-440C-BF2E-3E1AAD0406FE.jpeg
    992.3 KB · Views: 63

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Box turtles do naturally hibernate in the wild and captive turtles can be hibernated if you know how to do it. It's not necessary though, you can maintain a box turtle indoors just by not allowing the temperatures it is exposed to get cool and maintaining a normal light cycle and soaking and feeding schedule.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Hey everybody! So my turtle Lucy pretty much stays buried throughout her cage throughout the day unless I take her out of her little hole to feed her or take her outside… Is this normal?

That description of box turtle behavior sounds pretty normal to me. How big is she? How long have you had her?

I think the real question is... Is this normal behavior for Lucy? If this is new or different behavior, we can try to figure out why.

However, if Lucy is a young box turtle, her job right now is growing... which seems to involve a lot of hiding and sleeping. They're experts at that. :)

If she only eats when you take her out to soak, and you soak her on a regular basis, she doesn't need to burn energy hunting for food or finding someplace to soak (and poop). She may come out and explore at times when you aren't watching. However, if all of her basic needs (food, water, temperature) are met, she can transform most of that energy into growth.

Highland ca
Box turtles do naturally hibernate in the wild and captive turtles can be hibernated if you know how to do it. It's not necessary though, you can maintain a box turtle indoors just by not allowing the temperatures it is exposed to get cool and maintaining a normal light cycle and soaking and feeding schedule.
Hi! Thanks for the advice. I pretty much feed her every day and then protein every other day plus I turn her uvb like for off at night, I leave the res light on always ... is that a good “schedule”? Am I supposed to be soaking her?ty!!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I feed my turtles as often as they will in eat in most cases, just let them become obese. It will be obvious if they are obese, as the fat deposits will start to protrude from under the shell at their head and leg openings. Yes, soaks are a good habit to ensure your box turtle stays hydrated. Some turtles are shy, don't soak themselves in their water bowl, and will need mandatory 30 minute soaks enforced by their keeper. Hatchlings every day or two, juveniles weekly and adults every couple weeks. Of course, if you see your turtle soaking itself on the regular then you can scale back your intervention. Keep up with the UVB lamp for 14-16 hours a day but get rid of the red light. It does more harm than good.

Highland ca
I feed my turtles as often as they will in eat in most cases, just let them become obese. It will be obvious if they are obese, as the fat deposits will start to protrude from under the shell at their head and leg openings. Yes, soaks are a good habit to ensure your box turtle stays hydrated. Some turtles are shy, don't soak themselves in their water bowl, and will need mandatory 30 minute soaks enforced by their keeper. Hatchlings every day or two, juveniles weekly and adults every couple weeks. Of course, if you see your turtle soaking itself on the regular then you can scale back your intervention. Keep up with the UVB lamp for 14-16 hours a day but get rid of the red light. It does more harm than good.
But the uvb ligh I have is super bright isn’t that going to mess with her day night rythyms? Also the red light provides heat, should I still cut it out??? Should I just leave the uvb last got on and then turn all lights off at night? Thank you I’m a new turtle owner. She doesn’t eat much veggie and fruit , only a few nibbles of all the different stuff I offer

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
At this point you want to encourage your box turtle to not slow down and hibernate, so leave the UVB light on for 14-16 hours to simulate summer light cycles. At night turn off most lights. I sometimes leave a nightlight on to simulate the moon cycle but the red light is not necessary. Box turtles are used to colder temps at night. They should eat about 80% proteins and 20% fruits and vegetables.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I reread my earlier post and saw that I left out a word. I should have written "...dont let them become obese."

Highland ca
Torts are very unlikely to become obese. If they have a proper sized enclosure and good heat and light then they should be allowed to eat freely
Mine hardly eats :( I give her the omega turtle sticks, which she likes pretty well but she still only eats 3 or 4 at a time, earthworms every few days , and a variety of fruit and veg which she RARLEY touches ... don’t know what’s to do

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Torts are very unlikely to become obese. If they have a proper sized enclosure and good heat and light then they should be allowed to eat freely
Box turtles are a little different from tortoises in that their diet is much higher in proteins and fats. An eager eater can easily become obese in time if fed a steady diet of high fat foods. I have a few box turtles that will eat themselves into oblivion if allowed.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Mine hardly eats :( I give her the omega turtle sticks, which she likes pretty well but she still only eats 3 or 4 at a time, earthworms every few days , and a variety of fruit and veg which she RARLEY touches ... don’t know what’s to do
If your young box turtle is eating Omega One and earthworms every couple days regularly you have nothing to worry about. When she stops eating you have a problem. Box turtles vary in personality, some are shyer than others. I have some that spend all day out in the open begging fo food and others that spend 95% of their time hiding and only eat when I pick them up and place them down in front of food.

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
If your young box turtle is eating Omega One and earthworms every couple days regularly you have nothing to worry about. When she stops eating you have a problem. Box turtles vary in personality, some are shyer than others. I have some that spend all day out in the open begging fo food and others that spend 95% of their time hiding and only eat when I pick them up and place them down in front of food.
I can only speak for mine, but their personalities do vary greatly. I have a male and female that are fairly adventurous and active throughout the day on most days and three females that are usually active only in the morning but tend to tuck into leaf litter or hides throughout most of the day.

Highland ca
Yup that’s my girl there only comes to eat