NOW theyre concerned about Basilisk lizards?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Common Brown and even Green Sailfin Basilisk lizards have been a huge part of the south Florida landscape for decades.
There are probably 10 or more per acre in our less populated areas. ESPECIALLY near a water source.
They're very well established and they're thriving.
I just saw this rediculous article this morning:
Great detective work there, University of Florida!
"160 specimens collected so far"
I hope that was just from one person's yard!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230219_170456_SmartNews.jpg
    Screenshot_20230219_170456_SmartNews.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 3

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I had one when I had my caiman....well for a couple of hours anyway. I put him in the enclosure with caiman thinking he's just run away....he did at first....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are they a threat to anything?
It says that they threaten the native lizards. But those were decimated by the "Curly Tailed" lizards. Not Basilisks.
Where you see Curly Tails. You'll find nothing else.
Maybe in another 15 years, they'll "discover" the Curly Tail issue!?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It says that they threaten the native lizards. But those were decimated by the "Curly Tailed" lizards. Not Basilisks.
Where you see Curly Tails. You'll find nothing else.
Maybe in another 15 years, they'll "discover" the Curly Tail issue!?
Amen. Do you still have the little Florida anoles?🤔 I hope.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They're getting pretty rare.
They're not in every bush like they were in the 70s and early 80s.
Well...then it doesn't look like their track record is any better now than it was then on correct info. It takes them years to catch up and then it's pretty much too late.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well...then it doesn't look like their track record is any better now than it was then on correct info. It takes them years to catch up and then it's pretty much too late.
They did a similar thing with the Green Iguana, some Pythons and a few other invasive animals. But it's just WAY TOO LATE.
It's like giving an Aspirin to a dead man.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They did a similar thing with the Green Iguana, some Pythons and a few other invasive animals. But it's just WAY TOO LATE.
It's like giving an Aspirin to a dead man.
Yes and People also. Some sold the cute little reptiles and some accidentally were shipped in. Some people let them loose because they grew up. I've seen baby alligators for sale in a tank in Ohio in a pet shop. I was thinking a person would have to have more money than brains to provide a suitable habitat for the cute little baby 🍼

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
More of the same crap in the news just today:

I love that it calls Basilisk lizards "newcomers".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230223_151952_SmartNews.jpg
    Screenshot_20230223_151952_SmartNews.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230223_151933_SmartNews.jpg
    Screenshot_20230223_151933_SmartNews.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes and People also. Some sold the cute little reptiles and some accidentally were shipped in. Some people let them loose because they grew up. I've seen baby alligators for sale in a tank in Ohio in a pet shop. I was thinking a person would have to have more money than brains to provide a suitable habitat for the cute little baby 🍼
I remember seeing baby Caiman for sale at the five and ten cent store when I was a kid.
I believe that they're now endangered.
I wonder when they'll "discover" our rapidly growing CROCODILE population? That make Alligators look like French Poodles

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I remember seeing baby Caiman for sale at the five and ten cent store when I was a kid.
I believe that they're now endangered.
I wonder when they'll "discover" our rapidly growing CROCODILE population? That make Alligators look like French Poodles
Yes. Our animal control people have had to deal with large alligators and pythons loose in our city. Truthfully, most of them probably never thought they'd encounter those critters where we live when they signed up for the job.😉

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Every once in awhile there is an alligator found loose here in the Chicago land area. It sickens me that people get them and when they are done with them, they let them go. Seriously, they have to know they won't survive our cold winters and they just don't care, sad.
They are illegal to buy, sell and have here, but letting them go is not the way.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Every once in awhile there is an alligator found loose here in the Chicago land area. It sickens me that people get them and when they are done with them, they let them go. Seriously, they have to know they won't survive our cold winters and they just don't care, sad.
They are illegal to buy, sell and have here, but letting them go is not the way.
No
It isnt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No
It isnt
I read two alligator stories in the news yesterday. If I'm remembering correctly only one of them was in Florida, the one about the 80 year old woman walking her dog. The aligator came out of the water to get the dog and got the woman instead when she tried to save the dog. She died.

The other story was up north somewhere, in a cold climate. They pulled an emaciated alligator out of a lake and when they X-ray'd it found it had swallowed a rubber bath tub stopper and couldn't eat. This was obviously a released pet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I read two alligator stories in the news yesterday. If I'm remembering correctly only one of them was in Florida, the one about the 80 year old woman walking her dog. The aligator came out of the water to get the dog and got the woman instead when she tried to save the dog. She died.

The other story was up north somewhere, in a cold climate. They pulled an emaciated alligator out of a lake and when they X-ray'd it found it had swallowed a rubber bath tub stopper and couldn't eat. This was obviously a released pet.
Alligators are extremely common here. But stories of attacks are super rare. And deaths are almost non existent. That 82 year old lady was bitten on the ankle and fell in to the pond and was unable to stay above water as the Alligator pulled her down.
She never saw the alligator. Her dog did and ran like Hell.
Strength played a huge part of it.
The intended food object was the dog.
It was a well known local Gator that people had named (and were probably feeding)
Most of the video was shown several times on the local news.
What a way to go...Still healthy at 82 and killed by a gator.
One report said she was 85

Last edited: