Odd behavior (not eating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianetoddles15

5 Year Member
My russian tortoise Todd, who i've had for almost 2 years now is going through a fase. This happened last year too but i discovered he wasnt being fed properly so today i got him new food and today he wouldnt eat and the last few days he would just nibble on his food but barely eat anything. We just cleaned his cage so everything is fresh. He's very active and i just dont know why he wont eat

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
RE: Odd behavior

Any change in food takes time. Went thru same thing with Ophelia. Best of luck!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Odd behavior

yeah Mak hasnt necessarily warmed up to her new food yet either, kinda sucks but hopefully she'll get there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Odd behavior

How are your temps? Sometimes the hot summer weather slows down their appetite too. Have you had a fecal exam done to check for worms?

dianetoddles15

5 Year Member
I've never brought him to a vet. I've wanted to get him a check up but my mom thinks theres no need and it makes me angry. But i dont think he has worms, he'a typically a good eater but now i just thinks he needs to adjust a bit

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If he has eaten well up to now, you soak him regularly, he has poo'ed and peed up to recently, *takes breath*, his lighting is relatively new (UV), and he gets some outside time, don't worry.
He might not eat for weeks and he will be OK.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
my mom thinks theres no need

I happen to agree with her, if it's not broke, don't mess with it....new foods are either eagerly chowed down or circled and nose turned up...give him time. What was he being fed before? What prompted you to make changes?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I bought a group of 6 Russians in the Spring all but 2 would eat quite well-the other two were very shy and refused to eat. I weighed them all saw losses and gains and quit weighing them as it was worrying me.
Well after several mths here the 2 are just as happy as the others and I'm just trying to say they can go for long periods not eating or being picky.
I have been stubborn with only offering what I wanted them to eat and now they tackle just about anything. I suspect mine were used to mostly lettuces and I did the tough love thing and provided endless amounts of fresh picked weeds.

Just keep trying the foods you prefer as long as he is still active.
I soaked my fussy two more often as I wanted to ensure good hydration and seeing as Russian tend to rely mostly on the moisture in their food I was concerned they may get dehydrated. I offer water at all times but they seldom use it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
too hot or too cold or too dark...

try a food with color.... grated carrot, red pepper, butternut squash...flower..

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
UVB, stay around 80 degrees, soak them before eating, and let them cool at night, my russian had the same issue a few days ago and that helped, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.