Ode to Tortoise!

IntenseCookie

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey everyone! I'm new here.. and in case you can't tell, I love tortoises. I'd imagine that's point blank obvious... but I figured that I may as well mention it. Just to be on the safe side.
A lot of people don't understand why I love tortoises... but the answer is quite simple; they're just plain amazing!
I bring my tortoise, Tucker, inside just about everyday and let him wander around the coffee table. I do this merely because I love the way he walks, the prehistoric, slow, curious and still cautious way he does. (I'm lying, Tucker isn't as cautious as I wish he was, he likes to try to burrow into my skin when he wants a nap. Killer. It really is. I don't think he knows or cares that I'm the hand that feeds him ;P)
Tortoises can't smile.. or at least not literally. I got Tucker in October of 2013. When he was done with his first hibernation, I rewarded him with a warm puddle to soak in. I know tortoises can't smile... but I swear he was. His eyes were closed while he lowered his head and drank the water. Dude... he was in TOTAL bliss. I swear, you will never know what it is to be that happy.
Okay... I feel like I'm running this thread too long.. so I'm going to wrap it up. The last thing I love about tortoises is that they live forever. I absolutely love dogs, they are mans best friend after all. Their only fault is that they can't live my lifetime. But a tortoise can. They're like ultra curious dogs. And they don't bark at the neighbors... so that's cool too.

Attachments

• October 17th 2013 012.JPG
    October 17th 2013 012.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 21
  • October 17th 2013 004.JPG
    October 17th 2013 004.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 20
  • October 17th 2013 007.JPG
    October 17th 2013 007.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 20
  • October 17th 2013 010.JPG
    October 17th 2013 010.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) That's what so great about this forum, we all know exactly why tortoises are loved so much. :D
You got some great pics and very cute tort and dog. Please remember, no matter what, dogs and torts do not mix. Please never, ever take your eyes off the tort when the dog is around. We have seen and heard too many horror stories already.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Can I ask a question? Is it love or a addiction. , cause I know I'm addicted . But have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

G_Vincey

London
Thats a nice looking tort bro.. Welcome to the forum.. Do you have any recent pics?

IntenseCookie

Arizona
Hello and Welcome:) That's what so great about this forum, we all know exactly why tortoises are loved so much. :D
You got some great pics and very cute tort and dog. Please remember, no matter what, dogs and torts do not mix. Please never, ever take your eyes off the tort when the dog is around. We have seen and heard too many horror stories already.
I trust my dog completely. She's about as far away from violent as you can get, considering we have hens and baby birds running around our property and she won't touch them.
Still though, I never ever leave her alone with my tortoise. His pen as a fence around the side to keep the dogs (and snacky birds) out. I'd be heart broken to see my tortoise hurt, especially by my dog.
I appreciate the reminder though, it's easy to forget that tortoises and dogs don't do good.