Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
ShadowRancher said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Taught my wife how to use one of these...fits in her purse, and the one I got her extends to almost 4', and can break bones, as a would-be thief found out a couple years ago.

Steel_Whip.jpg

This looks awesome...my Dad freaked out, we've been meaning to get me my CWP so I could carry his .38 but I couldnt do that on campus anyway. I think this might work.

When you know what you're doing w/ a Steel Whip. it is a devestating weapon, and totally legal to carry.

When the thug pulled a blade on my wife, she was so scared, she went "Whoop-#ss" on him...broke his right arm, wrist and fractured his eye-socket, as well as making his face much less pretty...he took her to court, but the judge wasn't sympathetic at all.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I would suggest taking krav maga classes as well. They will teach you how to defend yourself against a weapon.

Katherine

5 Year Member
So sorry you had to experience this, and SO happy to hear you are okay. Humanity never ceases to disappoint me. If you don't already have a concealed carry permit it might not be a bad time to look into one. Just leveling the playing fields helps me to feel a hair safer. Again, I am so sorry for your experience : (

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Hi Ana, Regarding a laptop... I got a cheap laptop "Dell," older referb Latitude for $235.00 at an ebay store. My brother and I have purchased computers from them a number of times. I will send you the name of the store if you are interested.
~C

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Kerryann said:
I would suggest taking krav maga classes as well. They will teach you how to defend yourself against a weapon.

Excellent suggestion...krav maga raises "dirty fighting" (what a stupid term...it's either "win" or "lose", IMABO, nothing else) to a true art form.

If it comes down to "you" or "them" in that ambulance (or hearse), might as well be "them".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Terry, your wife is AWESOME! Tell her she has a new fan! :)

If more people did this criminals would find a safer line of work.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:

Let's just say that after seeing the idiot who tried to mug her, I concluded that being MUCH more careful about arguing w/ her could add years to my life! :p

Should've seen the fool trying to convince the judge to find in his (fool's) favor...judge suggested he might want to take up a new industry and thank his guardian angels that she wasn't carrying a gun! :cool:

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tom said:

Let's just say that after seeing the idiot who tried to mug her, I concluded that being MUCH more careful about arguing w/ her could add years to my life! :p

Should've seen the fool trying to convince the judge to find in his (fool's) favor...judge suggested he might want to take up a new industry and thank his guardian angels that she wasn't carrying a gun! :cool:

I also agree that she is pretty bad ***.. :D

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Ana's reaction to her situation was correct. She had a gun pointed at her and she gave the creap what he wanted. You don't want to make a crazy person (with a gun) more anxious than he allready is. A confrontation very well could have resulted in her death.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While Terry's wife did carry out her actions, many folks in this situation panic and do not carry it completely out. The result is taking a situation where no person would get hurt, just an easily replaced item stolen, goes into a situation where somebody gets hurt or killed... normally the original victim. :(
I think you need to really think about if you carry a weapon can you really complete the attack?

Colleges are just such dangerous places these day for all kinds of violence. Two of my own children go to a small town college, yet a girl has been missing for months, believed to have been killed. She was last seen at a party two houses down from the house my daughter was living in alone at the time and with a bad habit of not locking her doors. It scared and worried me, much more then my two children.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
The nice thing about conceal carry. you can carry it anywhere, its concealed. NO one but you knows you have a gun on you, say for some freak reason, someone thinks you have a gun on you at a place where this is a no conceal carry sign, that doesnt mean your in trouble, it means the owner has one chance to ask you to leave before he can call the cops, if you dont leave and the cops come, the cops also have to ask you to leave once, if you do not listen to either of those verbal warnings of them asking you to leave then you can get introuble. you can take your gun out to your car and come right back in to the place you were just asked to leave. I just went thought the classes for this and it is all worth it. You can also carry all the way up to the security check point in an airport.

Katherine

5 Year Member
SulcataSquirt said:
The nice thing about conceal carry. you can carry it anywhere, its concealed. NO one but you knows you have a gun on you, say for some freak reason, someone thinks you have a gun on you at a place where this is a no conceal carry sign, that doesnt mean your in trouble, it means the owner has one chance to ask you to leave before he can call the cops, if you dont leave and the cops come, the cops also have to ask you to leave once, if you do not listen to either of those verbal warnings of them asking you to leave then you can get introuble. you can take your gun out to your car and come right back in to the place you were just asked to leave. I just went thought the classes for this and it is all worth it. You can also carry all the way up to the security check point in an airport.

Hmmm laws may vary by location, I am not sure this is a safe blanket statement. In my area there are plenty of places it is illegal to carry a firearm regardless of permitting (parade routes, public schools, bars to name a few). I agree that it's wonderful no one knows you have a gun on you but just because it is concealed does not mean it is okay to carry it in areas where it is illegal. I am a big advocate for RESPONSIBLE gun ownership, anything shy of legal makes all gun owners look bad... A lot like responsible reptile ownership!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Good thing terry's wife mugging happened in texas, if it had been california the mugger would have gotten a nice pay day. it is a shame that people steal other's property ( I know naive). As for fighting back I am all in favor of it, just make sure that you are well trained. Sorry this has happened to you.

I am also a big fan of your wife now and I think I see her winning more and more arguments. :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I chose to carry a taser because it is instantly debilitating and would give me the ability to get away. It can be used from a distance, and it can penetrate a jacket. And also, if the offender was able to take it from me and used it on me, unlike a gun, it would not kill me.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dmmj said:
Good thing terry's wife mugging happened in texas, if it had been california the mugger would have gotten a nice pay day. it is a shame that people steal other's property ( I know naive). As for fighting back I am all in favor of it, just make sure that you are well trained. Sorry this has happened to you.

I am also a big fan of your wife now and I think I see her winning more and more arguments. :)

I'm now inspired to CAREFULLY pick my fights... :p

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Just a heads up to everyone, you NEVER taser someone with a gun! The taser tensis up the muscles which would cause him/her to pull the trigger. Don't get me wrong I love tasers, I am currently doing a study for Taser International with a proffessor of mine. But never use it in a scenario involving a gun!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Arizona Sulcata said:
Just a heads up to everyone, you NEVER taser someone with a gun! The taser tensis up the muscles which would cause him/her to pull the trigger. Don't get me wrong I love tasers, I am currently doing a study for Taser International with a proffessor of mine. But never use it in a scenario involving a gun!

Good to know. That is where I got my Taser. Would like to read your study when it is finished.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thanks for the support guys! I sort of posted that before I'd calmed down initially so sorry if that was a little crazy :D I think ive got everything figured out now....one of my friends lent me a netbook he's not using for the rest of the semester so I can do school work and check TFO now (ten points if you can guess which one im happier about :))

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think the correct answer should be... having a friend who would lend you a netbook. :cool:

Glad to hear your doing better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CLMoss said:
Ana's reaction to her situation was correct. She had a gun pointed at her and she gave the creap what he wanted. You don't want to make a crazy person (with a gun) more anxious than he allready is. A confrontation very well could have resulted in her death.

Criminals LOVE this line of thinking. Their livelihood and their very lives depend on it.

I'm not saying Ana's reaction or anyone else's response to a situation like this is in any way wrong. Just making a point. Every situation is different and there are a billion variables and risks to consider.

Jacqui said:
While Terry's wife did carry out her actions, many folks in this situation panic and do not carry it completely out. The result is taking a situation where no person would get hurt, just an easily replaced item stolen, goes into a situation where somebody gets hurt or killed... normally the original victim. :(
I think you need to really think about if you carry a weapon can you really complete the attack?

This is a valid point, BUT...

Two other points:
1. This "situation" is forced upon the victim.
2. Sometimes they are going to hurt you anyway. Innocent lives and bodily harm can SOMETIMES be saved by taking decisive action.

I completely agree with your last sentence. IF (big IF) someone does decide to make the decision to carry a weapon, classes and training should be a self-imposed pre-requisite and requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.