Old lawnmower injury

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Is there anything I should/could do for this girl? This is an old injury. She is doing great but didn't know what I could do about it. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447253337.747026.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How old is the injury? You could use a softer bristle brush around the perimeter to remove anything that loose/flaking off but I wouldn't get too aggressive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nothing to do. I have a desert tortoise that was run over by a tractor pulling a disc. This injury is over 30 years old:

Mi-Shell.jpg

The white around the actual injury shown in your picture is dead bone. As the tortoise grows UNDER that dead bone, it will lift and eventually pop off. It takes a very long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like your tortoise's injury was patched with fiberglass? If that's the case, it too will eventually pop out of the hole as the new shell grows under it.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
No fiberglass. Injury is probably 2 years old. When it first happened the bone was very thin like paper. After a few months it hardened. I didn't think there was much I could do. I did see, on FB, an injured radiated. They patched the hole, drew in the growth rings and then painted the plaster(?) to match the rest of the shell. You couldn't even tell there was an injury.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've seen fiberglass patches at the zoo. Couldn't the resin burn the tortoise as it cures? I use Fiberglass quite a lot and it gets very hot when it "sets off."