On his back in water bowl

Plop123

How long can a tortoise be on their back before problems start arising for them? I have found my little hermann on her back a few times and even saw her do it once. She is only 11 months old. I worry as my partner and I work 12 hr shifts. Many thanks for advice

I'm in a similar situation to you. I have a new hatchling (my second) and she manages to flip herself over in her water bowl and it really worries me. My other tortoise is a year older and has never had this problem.

The water bowl is sunken and I can't see how to prevent her from flipping herself. So far I've reduced the level of the water so when she does flip she doesn't drown. Can anyone suggest a way to prevent her flipping or what I can do to help her flip herself back when she does flip?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What kind of water bowl do you use? That's why we recommend the plant saucers sunk into the substrate. Plant saucers have sloped sides so the baby doesn't have to over balance climbing out. With straight up and down sides they get over balanced and frequently end up on their back in the water.

For very small hatchlings I add some clean pebbles to the bottom of the saucer so the water is not real deep.

Plop123

It's sunken into her substrate and the sides are only about 1cm deep. I'm just not sure how she's flipping herself as she always ends up with her head facing the edge. I would assume that if she was flipping whilst getting out then she'd end up with her head facing the corner unless she manages to wiggle herself around.

1473520554281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I'm talking about. The sides are too straight up and down and when the baby climbs out he over balances and tips over backwards. It looks like one side has a slope, but the other side doesn't. A plant saucer would be better. And if he's tiny, some pebbles in the bottom make it not so deep.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't put my water saucers near the walls, if your tort starts climbing that corner and falls back, s/he's in the water. Put your saucer away from any obstacles that they try and climb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to say what Anyfoot said.

Sink your new terra cotta plant saucer into substrate some where near the middle of the enclosure, away from the walls.