ONE DAY OLD ALDABRA BABIES

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
These two little guys are fresh out of the incubator, cleaned & soaked, alert, active, and ready for life!

2nk5hcp.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
guille24 said:
Woow they are amazing !

* Notice the one on the left has no nuchal scute and the one on the right has a distinctive nuchal scute. This is Sandy's second clutch to hatch this year and she is our only female that produces hatchlings without nuchal scutes!

This is Sandy, our golden female!

2j4pqoy.jpg

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Wow thats a very special tortoise I wonder why they don't have it

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice lookin little beauties you got .

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
guille24 said:
I wonder why they don't have it

* 1.34% naturally do not, just genetics. She is our only female that produces them and has for years. In fact every clutch she has ever had were mixed, some had it and others did not!

This picture of the same two show the differences more clearly!

231wnm.jpg

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
LOL, soo cute! So puffy, they almost don't fit in their shells. Day 1 and already off to the best start possible!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
TigsMom said:
Day 1 and already off to the best start possible!

* This one is already eating!

* FYI, the green food sources in the picture are chopped up lettuce, dollar weed, cactus, and hibiscus leaves!

300too6.jpg

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
That's pretty cool and that's a very special female u have there , i wonder if the males she's breeding with have something to do with it ?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
guille24 said:
i wonder if the males she's breeding with have something to do with it ?

* I honestly do not know, however i can say that we have four proven male breeders now and she was producing them way before we purchased Homer and Alfa, therefore if that is the case it would be Cowboy or Sampson. I truly think it is just her, however no basis other than a feeling. I will say that when Cowboy was introduced into our group it truly appeared that she and he knew each other from the past and she had not produced until he was at our program!

2j2hx5i.jpg

littleginsu said:
Have you found any correlation to sex, size, temperament with the ones missing it?

* Not at all. This is a three year old without it (Tuff) and a two year old with it (not named/waiting transportation to AZ) that are both produce of Sandy, no difference at all. Just for additional in formation i have seen many imports that are missing the nuchal scute also. Another interesting fact is that our entire breeding group has distinctive nuchal scutes.

24q31ht.jpg

* This little guy was hatched June 4 of 2013, he is Turbo's brother, which does not have a nuchal scute and this little guy and Turbo are almost identical as far as extremely friendly and active. Both are within small margins of growth and development. Basically identical in every way except this little guy has a distinctive nuchal scute and his clutch mate does not. Both are brothers, hatched two days apart from the same clutch, both produced by Sandy.

This is the one that has one (no name, in transport to CA)!
2ryrmmc.jpg

This one does not (Turbo)!
9jd5qs.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW!!!!!

That is amazing!!!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thy are amazing ! Thanks for sharing and teaching us something new , this is one of my favorite tortoise species i really enjoy to seeing this pics and reading everything related to them :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
bouaboua said:
WOW!!!!!

That is amazing!!!

* So far only two are out of the clutch, nine more to go!

* This is the one in the above pictures that clearly shows the distinctive nuchal scute!

21akcav.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
guille24 said:
Thy are amazing ! Thanks for sharing and teaching us something new , this is one of my favorite tortoise species i really enjoy to seeing this pics and reading everything related to them

* Thank you and my pleasure!