Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello,

My name is Alice and I just introduced myself yesterday on the intro forum. I was not sure which forum to put this question in so I hope it is OK here.

I found a russian tort on Craigslist. She is 10 years old...he thinks. He has had her 6 years. She is about 6 inches long. Eats great and comes with her inclosure and set up. Not sure if it is the correct lights and such, but it seems like he has taken good care of her. He sent me pictures on his phone. He wants $400 for her. He thinks she is worth $200 because of her size. Anyway....I tried to talk him down a little but he isn't budging:( Do you think that is a good deal? I worry about her healthy but she looks healthy and he said she always been healthy.

Opinions please....I can forward the pictures to one of you pros so you take a better look if you don't mind sharing your #:) Privately of course.

Thank you

moswen

5 Year Member
oh, some people make me laugh... i'm so glad you posted on here first! an adult russian tortoise is not even worth a penny over $100, most of the time you can get them for way less. i just searched kingsnake real fast and found them for $65, but that would be plus shipping probably, so you're still looking at $100, but only half of that is the tortoise cost. you can post the link on here so we can all see it and give you our honest opinions, it's not like slandering or anything, just our opinions. we do it all the time don't worry!

do you know what pyramiding is, and does she look pyramided at all? are her eyes clear? does she look alert and awake in the pics or is she hiding in her shell? what type of diet does he have her on? what size is the set up? what material is it? (glass tank, wood, plastic?) i wouldn't say that a set up without possibly even the correct lights is worth $200 either, a brand new mvb and clamp lamp should only run you about $80 with shipping, and that's a bulb that will last you a full year, not however long he's got left on the bulb he's already been using. and a set up in a plastic tub and a bag of cypress mulch shouldn't run you more than $40, and that's including a huge plastic tub that will be enough space for a russian. you can use sideways terra cotta pots (i've used sideways empty yogurt containers, terra cotta pots, empty plant pots, and i currently have a plastic box with a hinge lid currently that i drilled a hole in and stuffed with sphagnum moss) for hides, and a bag of sphagnum moss is like less than $12 i think. but a 6-10 year old russian should not have an immense need for a humid hide, so you can even hold out on the sphagnum moss for a week or so if you need to. and a terra cotta plant plate or the .75cent clear plastic plant water plate that you can get from lowe's you can use for a water dish. i used to use the tops of the mashed potato bowl that you could get from KFC, until they stopped selling those. then i got a water dish for the plant pots from walmart. you can definately do way better than $400, unless you buy it all from a pet store! which, in my OP, you shouldn't do!

oh and, i didn't get the pleasure to do so earlier, so, welcome to the forum! i'm so glad you're here!

....and, p.s.:
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that i bet he won't be able to sell her to anyone for $400, so you have the luxury of waiting around a few weeks to see if he'll come down if you really want that particular tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They sell in Petsmart for $99.99, so that means you should be able to get one for around $50.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
way to much it is someone trying to make money off of their tortoise, you can usually find them a lot cheaper elsewhere, and size be damned. If you want a russian there are a lot of places where one can be obtained cheaper. BTW welcome and enjoy your visit.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I seen one yesterday in Bedford New Hampshire for $50 comes with habitat and care book :)

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
coreyc said:
I seen one yesterday in Bedford New Hampshire for $50 comes with habitat and care book :)

Where??? I am just a few miles from Bedford...I would love to check this one out. Thanks in advance.

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone for your opinions... I tried to post the link but the owner has deleted it:(. I have decided against this tortoise because I think he is a little on the "loopy" side. Now he is telling me that she and her supplies are worth over $650...dang....that is one expensive UVB light and plastic tub from Walmart;) Anyway....our tort is out there...just need to give it time.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Wise choice Alice! The right tortie will come along, keep checking, see if you have any clubs or rescues in your area.

:D Welcome to TFO by the way!!!

Good luck, I hope the right one comes along soon!!!

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi Alice there are alot of rip of merchants out there I am from the UK and I am not good with converting Dollars to Sterling but i do know thats way too much. My Hermann cost £89 and i just made a wooden Table 4 ft long by 2 ft wide for £70 and i made tables cheaper out of plastic tubes if u shop about u can pick up two large tubs and link them together by cutting out the sides, i only converted to the Wooden one because i picked two tubes that did not sit right and they were making a mess, U could even turn a book shelf on it side and take out the shelves line it with a shower curtain and u have a table, u can pick 1 up for a small amount second hand.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would also check out reptile rescues in your area along with local humane societies, petfinder is another good place to find tortoises looking for new loving homes. As for an enclosure a plastic tub would work or watch craigslist, you can probably find a book shelf for little or nothing and then line it with a shower curtain.

Good luck and in the mean time keep reading and learning all you can. Oh and WELCOME to the forum! :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Yes, be patient. It'll give you time to set up an enclosure, plan the diet (maybe start to grow some food indoors?), and find a vet for a check up & fecal test for parasites & to have in case of emergencies, etc. Price should be the least of your concern in getting a tort as you will end up spending a lot in its life time...but of course you don't need to let someone else make money off of their bad judgment in getting a pet they can't keep...focus on health (active, eating, no shell rot, no pyramiding, feels like a rock of the same size, and eyes open & wide & clear), personality, and care history (ask the person what they were feeding so you know where to start and then likely improve upon).

Its great you are looking to adopt vs. getting a newly wild caught one from a pet store...good choice (personally I'm highly against supporting the importing of torts). Finding a breeder hold back yearling is another option, but more difficult. I think with some time you will find one online or through a shelter or rescue, no problem. Unfortunately there are lots of torts who need new homes for various reasons. Also good choice on the breed! Russians are awesome. :) Once the weather warms up, you can start to plan your outdoor enclosure and plant some organic graze (I'd stop using any chemicals on your yard now if applicable).

For an adult Russian, most plastic tubs they sell (unless stock tanks) just aren't large enough, or if large enough, the side are too short for a good substrate depth and to prevent escape (you probably want 18 inch sides to be good for either a smaller male or a larger female). I'd like to see 10+ sq ft, ideally 15-20. A wood tort table is a good way to go...either a bookcase or getting boards cut at a home improvement store and assembling it yourself. You want to get a good Mercury Vapor Bulb for the indoor months, such as a Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat or Powersun. Lamp stand, ceramic socket hood fixture, and temp gun (accurate thermometer) too. Substrate like aspen, cypress mulch, etc. As for hides, fake plants, plant pots, containers or boxes, etc (not a huge fan of those half logs as torts love to climb them and fall off onto their back...vertical sided hides are a better choice). Russiantortoise.org is a great starting point

Good luck and see you around soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.