Opo,s mouth?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
While feeding Opo today, I noticed inside his mouth. The bottom base of the jaw there is a very white line following the contour of the jaw. Like very white bone or cartilage. Also on the inside of the mouth where the yellow outline is. On each side is that same bright white. I have never noticed it before. It is hard not to notice. It has always been pink like his tongue.
Any thoughts?
20211124_130304.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
While feeding Opo today, I noticed inside his mouth. The bottom base of the jaw there is a very white line following the contour of the jaw. Like very white bone or cartilage. Also on the inside of the mouth where the yellow outline is. On each side is that same bright white. I have never noticed it before. It is hard not to notice. It has always been pink like his tongue.
Any thoughts?
View attachment 336570
It looks a little swollen to me. Do you think it is swollen? Does the "cheek" area look swollen when the mouth is closed?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It looks a little swollen to me. Do you think it is swollen? Does the "cheek" area look swollen when the mouth is closed?
I didn't notice, I barely got him out today. He has been held up in his box with the cold front that moved in. I will give a good look tomorrow. I already bothered him today. It's just so white it's not hard to notice. If he doesn't come back to normal tomorrow. I think I will take him to the vet's. He generally does just fine on days that it is 70's+ and sunny. If by Friday he is still off, I will be worried. I have not fed him much, because I don't want a belly full of food not digesting correctly.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
@Yvonne G , @KarenSoCal , @Tom , @Maro2Bear ,Opo has been acting strange for 5 days. Won't come out of his box even though it is in the 70's and sunny. I dragged him out yesterday and put him in his pool with warm water. I was afraid he might be dehydrated. He peed a bunch and urates were pasty. He grazed in the yard ate 4 cactus pads and then back to his box. His appetite seems normal, he will eat out of my hand but won't come out to eat.
I noticed on the inside of the corners of his mouth. There is whitish maybe swollen glands. I have never noticed them that large and that color. It doesn't seem to bother his eating. Tried to get a better pic this morning, but Opo wouldn't yawn like usual. Temps in the box are normal, but I am going to bump it up a few degrees.
Any thoughts?
20211124_130304.jpg20211124_130152.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How has your weather been? Any big “fronts” move through the area that would change the barometric pressure a bunch? Opo might be sensing that a bit. Not sure about the mouth. Upping the temps is always good & hydration. Good too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shorter days and cooler temps will definitely slow them down. Remember that ground temps over there are 80-85 all the time, and daily highs are usually near 100 all year long with rare exception.

I usually bump my night boxes up to around 86 this time of year.

The area on the side of the mouth looks like bite muscles to me. I'm not sure of that, so I have no definitive answer for you there, but a winter slow down is pretty normal.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
How has your weather been? Any big “fronts” move through the area that would change the barometric pressure a bunch? Opo might be sensing that a bit. Not sure about the mouth. Upping the temps is always good & hydration. Good too
Yeah the front that came in 5 days ago started it. The barometric pressure has been steady since. Usually takes a day or 2 after a barometric drop. For Opo to get back to normal.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Shorter days and cooler temps will definitely slow them down. Remember that ground temps over there are 80-85 all the time, and daily highs are usually near 100 all year long with rare exception.

I usually bump my night boxes up to around 86 this time of year.

The area on the side of the mouth looks like bite muscles to me. I'm not sure of that, so I have no definitive answer for you there, but a winter slow down is pretty normal.
Opo hasn't pooped in 5 days either. I think it's time for a car ride. With not much exercise I don't want food rotting in his gut.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yeah the front that came in 5 days ago started it. The barometric pressure has been steady since. Usually takes a day or 2 after a barometric drop. For Opo to get back to normal.
Does Opo's mouth close completely? And if it does, is the white swelling inside of his mouth or partly outside? Is there a bump like this one on the right side too? And finally, it looks like there are blood vessels in it...or are those pieces of food?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Mucous membranes in the mouth can vary in color...with reptiles, the most immediate reason would be lower temps slowing down circulation.

If you can't get him exercising, a car ride might help move along a heavy meal and get him back to his routine.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Does Opo's mouth close completely? And if it does, is the white swelling inside of his mouth or partly outside? Is there a bump like this one on the right side too? And finally, it looks like there are blood vessels in it...or are those pieces of food?
Mouth closes completely, bumps are on the inside and both sides, those are pieces of food

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Mucous membranes in the mouth can vary in color...with reptiles, the most immediate reason would be lower temps slowing down circulation.

If you can't get him exercising, a car ride might help move along a heavy meal and get him back to his routine.
Ok maybe that's why I noticed them because of the lower temps causing color change. Opo is definitely going for a car ride tomorrow. ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lola is very reluctant to leave his box now that temps have dropped here too, even though I have extra heat on in his room. I hope Opo gets back to normal soon!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks Lyn, I am sure it has to do with the cooler weather. Opo,s actions are different than this time last year. Being Opo is only 4, I am still learning his behaviors.