Opo's beak.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Does anyone think I should have Opo's beak trimmed? I was thinking of feeding him mazuri in a terracotta dish. To try to wear it down. 20200716_081340.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks prefect. No trimming needed at all.

Time to raise the barrier protecting the insulation. He's going to shred that foam and possibly eat it soon. They shouldn't have access to the foam.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It looks normal to me. What you can try is using less water with the mazuri, or not using any water at all and he may in time start eating it dry. Walker wont eat softened mazuri anymore. One pellet at a time dry.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Agree with Len. Although i don’t feed any Mazuri during the hot humid Summer where I feed tons of grass, grape leaves, Mazuri, Cactus pads, corn husks, Rose of Sharon, ogh, and more grass. I stopped softening the Mazuri pellets a long time ago. Our Sully takes & crunches a pellet at a time. Over & over again. Has to be good for the beak.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nooe, it looks great. Throw a cuttle bone there for Opo. A few fangs help them rip food apart.
other than grass, what else are you feeding?
Opo eats dandelion, turnip greens, hibiscus, romaine, cactus, moringa occasionally zucchini, calabasa.
I am sure I am forgetting some but mostly grass.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Looks prefect. No trimming needed at all.

Time to raise the barrier protecting the insulation. He's going to shred that foam and possibly eat it soon. They shouldn't have access to the foam.
Thanks Tom, I have a new night box I am working on. Opo has just about grown out of that one.
I still have some scrap formica that I can raise the sides with.

Reactions: Tom

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It looks normal to me. What you can try is using less water with the mazuri, or not using any water at all and he may in time start eating it dry. Walker wont eat softened mazuri anymore. One pellet at a time dry.
Ok thanks I will try. I was thinking about feeding dry but I was afraid of him trying to swallow whole or it swelling up in his belly when it got moist. But I will give it a try.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nooe, it looks great. Throw a cuttle bone there for Opo. A few fangs help them rip food apart.
other than grass, what else are you feeding?
I forgot to tell you Mark that at least once a month. I take Opo to McDonald's, Burger King or Taco Bell. Which ever Opo wants. He prefers McDonald's happy meals because he gets a toy to chew on.???