Optimus Prime just pass 1000g

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
I cannot believe Optimus Prime is 1022g, just last Saturday he was only 868g. Little eating machine.

That pyramiding drives me nuts. From this angle it really shows too. Would that be because he was started really dry? The humidity never goes below 80% I like to keep it about 84%.

Anyway, I m excited to see how much he has grown.

I guess I need to start figuring out where his outdoor space will be. I will be making two of Tom's outdoor houses. I was thinking 2 4x8s One for Optimus Prime and one for Bumblebee(leopard tortoise).Just need to pick the location and get planting and building.

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_182107007.jpg
    IMG_20240127_182107007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

ryan57

PA
I cannot believe Optimus Prime is 1022g, just last Saturday he was only 868g. Little eating machine.

That pyramiding drives me nuts. From this angle it really shows too. Would that be because he was started really dry? The humidity never goes below 80% I like to keep it about 84%.

I guess I need to start figuring out where his outdoor space will be. I will be making two of Tom's outdoor houses. I was thinking 2 4x8s One for Optimus Prime and one for Bumblebee(leopard tortoise).Just need to pick the location and get planting and building.
A thing about pyramiding or at least what I've witnessed. If the growth rings are below the top scute technically that is pyramiding. That said, the "valleys" of the growth rings only, I have seen happen when they grow fast which is my only experience. There is a verified cycle by measuring the length, width and height of the tortoise. When Stump grew he would get almost the shape of a ladybug like he was going to burst and then he would spread out in width and height and I would see what I could only describe as valleys but... next in the cycle those valleys would fill in and he would become the shape of a ladybug again like he was going to burst. The cycle has slowed now that he is 24lbs in under 2 years but it is still there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

They do grow fast when things are set up right. Outdoor time in Arkansas should be a great thing in warmer weather at this size.

Congratulations on a job well done, and I hope you enjoyed the ride! :)

Megatron's Mom

They do grow fast when things are set up right. Outdoor time in Arkansas should be a great thing in warmer weather at this size.

Congratulations on a job well done, and I hope you enjoyed the ride! :)
Thank you, I've made up my mind to make two yards and share a 4x8 divided. I'm going to get started here soon. Optimus will be ready for outside full time probably much sooner than Bumblebee. They both will be able to enjoy it during the day this summer at least.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Thank you, I've made up my mind to make two yards and share a 4x8 divided. I'm going to get started here soon. Optimus will be ready for outside full time probably much sooner than Bumblebee. They both will be able to enjoy it during the day this summer at least.
I’m in AR as well. I’m gonna try to wait another yr. Then do Tom’s night box. Is it a 4x4?

Megatron's Mom

I’m in AR as well. I’m gonna try to wait another yr. Then do Tom’s night box. Is it a 4x4?
I'm going to make a 4x8 and divide it into two. He has plans for both the 4x4 and 4x8 on here.
I doubt Optimus will be ready for all day and night outside this year but he should be happy with most of the day if I can get it all ready.

What part of AR are you in? How old/big is your torte?

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
I'm going to make a 4x8 and divide it into two. He has plans for both the 4x4 and 4x8 on here.
I doubt Optimus will be ready for all day and night outside this year but he should be happy with most of the day if I can get it all ready.

What part of AR are you in? How old/big is your torte?
around Little Rock , 18 months old. 1415g a few days ago. Where u located

ryan57

PA
Stump is rounding 30lbs @ 2 years old which is state pumpkin type of ridiculous but since 22 months it's been a pound a week or so. I saw a graph on this forum a year or so ago that shows the exponential growth rate as their size increases and growth RATE stays constant. This curve is what you're potentially in for and I've witnessed it to be true...
image-png.196175

ryan57

PA
Another Optimus Prime update❤️

Optimus is now 7 inches and 1134g. The way he is growing, he just may be outside full time by the end of summer.
My wife and I now cherish the brief time when they're small and easily manageable. I'm kind of glad that Figgy, the little one had a slower start but s/he is taking off too. last week 175g this week 200g. It's won't be long until it's in the lbs. LOL.

Megatron's Mom

My wife and I now cherish the brief time when they're small and easily manageable. I'm kind of glad that Figgy, the little one had a slower start but s/he is taking off too. last week 175g this week 200g. It's won't be long until it's in the lbs. LOL.
That chart is wild, I was thinking as dry as he was started I would have a little longer before the growth spurts. It's all exciting but the scary kind lol