Optimus Prime just pass 1000g

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Stump is rounding 30lbs @ 2 years old which is state pumpkin type of ridiculous but since 22 months it's been a pound a week or so. I saw a graph on this forum a year or so ago that shows the exponential growth rate as their size increases and growth RATE stays constant. This curve is what you're potentially in for and I've witnessed it to be true...
image-png.196175

I need to weigh again this year, but this is Vlad's weight chart:

1707959891054.png

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When you look at a baby Sulcata, it's almost unimaginable to even think of how huge they will be so soon with the right care. I have an uneasy feeling that this is one of the reasons there are so many very poorly kept Sulcatas up for sale or adoption. Some people who have them, whether consciously or unconsciously, stop caring for or feeding them properly because they are growing too big too fast and Reality looms.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I cannot believe Optimus Prime is 1022g, just last Saturday he was only 868g. Little eating machine.

That pyramiding drives me nuts. From this angle it really shows too. Would that be because he was started really dry? The humidity never goes below 80% I like to keep it about 84%.

Anyway, I m excited to see how much he has grown.

I guess I need to start figuring out where his outdoor space will be. I will be making two of Tom's outdoor houses. I was thinking 2 4x8s One for Optimus Prime and one for Bumblebee(leopard tortoise).Just need to pick the location and get planting and building.
Aww what a gorgeous tort Optimus Prime is! Mine was sort of a rescue and the pyramiding damage was already done. You can see on the before and after how she has improved. I hate that she has the pyramiding too. I get used to seeing it and then I see a tort with a smooth, round shell and it makes me sad. I just want her to be as healthy as she can. After all, they can't control their surroundings, temp, food etc. I love Tom's post! It's very helpful.

Anyway, you are doing great and Optimus Prime is loving you for it!
20240206_153459.jpgresize.jpg

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Aww what a gorgeous tort Optimus Prime is! Mine was sort of a rescue and the pyramiding damage was already done. You can see on the before and after how she has improved. I hate that she has the pyramiding too. I get used to seeing it and then I see a tort with a smooth, round shell and it makes me sad. I just want her to be as healthy as she can. After all, they can't control their surroundings, temp, food etc. I love Tom's post! It's very helpful.

Anyway, you are doing great and Optimus Prime is loving you for it!
View attachment 366553View attachment 366555
She's still a beautiful tortoise. I bet she loves her new home with you.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Thank you! I love this little girl so much, and yes I hope she loves it here too. She's sassy lol. I named her after Pinky Tuscadero. Idk if you're old enough to remember, but she was Fonzie's girlfriend for a few episodes on Happy Days. HAHAHAH

ryan57

PA
When we adopted him at 1868g I figured "It'll take him 10 years to reach 100lbs, it'll be fine..."

😳
I see you're in PA too. I'm in South Central PA above Gettysburg in Dillsburg. Middle of February today and grass is still green (when I pulled the tarp back that had snow on it) and Stump goes out. It seems when I mix fresh grass into his greens every day he almost gets a taste for the grass then HAS to go out.

So I concluded tonight that Stump can definitely count or has some sense of marking time because when giving him a soak in the tub he is expecting two distinct halves where I refresh the water. As an experiment, three times I've brought him downstairs after the first half and he either doesn't move and looks at us like we're stupid and/or walks back to the stairs and then stares at us. He has it in his mind that he gets 2 soaks. Not 1 and is aware of if there has only been one. After the second soak he always walks to his plate for a snack and then into the doggie bed.

He's turning into a honey badger. He normally hates the vacuum cleaner, chainsaws, anything with a high rpm motor but... Today he comes in from eating before I got home from work for the soak and walks past the cleaning people vacuuming in the great room straight to his doggie bed like a straight boss. Hilarious.

ryan57

PA
Weigh-in today Optimus Prime is 2lbs 10oz or 1213g. Growing so fast.
Exciting!!! I remember the all the 1 lb marks until about 6, 10, then 20 now I'm awaiting the 30lb marker.

Stump 2yr old hatch day.

26.2lbs. His poop each day is now between 3/4lb and 1lb. That range. Let this one sink in...

16" long, 11" wide 8 3/4" high

My little one went from 217 to 250 last week in one week. Funny, I'm just as stoked about little Figgy and OP!

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Exciting!!! I remember the all the 1 lb marks until about 6, 10, then 20 now I'm awaiting the 30lb marker.

Stump 2yr old hatch day.

26.2lbs. His poop each day is now between 3/4lb and 1lb. That range. Let this one sink in...

16" long, 11" wide 8 3/4" high

My little one went from 217 to 250 last week in one week. Funny, I'm just as stoked about little Figgy and OP!
1 lb 💩 😱😳😱
I was soaking OP and was thinking darn his poops are about the size of the mini dachshunds we have.

That is a nice jump for the little one too. So exciting I hope this never fades.