Options for month-long vacation...

fieldy

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I currently have a 2 and a half year old Hermann's tortoise who is healthy and doing very well.
Unfortunately, I will have to be away from home for about a month, starting mid-January and
I don't really have anybody to come and look after my tortoise while I'm away so I'm currently looking at different options for tortoise care while I'm away. Taking my tortoise with me is not an option.

I first thought about hibernating my tortoise while I'm away, but I gave up on that thought after doing some research, seeing as that I won't be able to carefully manage the temperature, environment etc while I'm away, and it seemed like too much risk.

So I'm currently thinking of boarding service or sitter service for my tort while I'm away. I'm currently in the Boston area, and after a quick google search, I couldn't find much in regards to those types of service. Does anybody know of reliable tortoise boarding or sitter services in the Boston area (and also not too pricey?). I'll be leaving in about 2 weeks and I'm running out of options. Any other good suggestions for what might be the best option is also welcome.

Thanks so much!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Maybe somebody here on the forum could watch your tortoise. I bet there's people up in your area. Also, do you have a good reptile vet? My vet will watch my tortoise if needed.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Most exotic vets will offer a rate for non-medical boarding.

Ninja's mom

Prehistorixx in Exeter NH does tortoise boarding I believe and have a lot of experience.

yillt

I'm sure there's someone on the forum who could watch your tortoise. Or if you have a trustworthy friends. If you don't have any of the above, find a well known vet in your area.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
maybe talk to some professional reptile stores see if they can have your tort in a suitable display(and provide maintenance everyday) but not for sale.

i have salt water reef tank, i know some of my local fish stores offers this kind of service for a small charge