Opuntia??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Snagged this out of a neighbors yard and couldn't get a pic of the whole plant, but it looks exactly like this just many different sizes stacked on top of each other. No flowers blooming when I grabbed this. I think it's opuntia but just wanted to make sure. Thanks...

1288671611750.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah its opuntia. Its infested with those little cactus parasite insects. I hate those things. The indians used to make dye and ink out of them. Wipe them with a gloved finger and watch how purple-ish they are.

They don't hurt the torts. Just wipe them off and rinse it. THat would be a good size for transplanting, but try to get the smaller, lighter new pads for your baby.

That reminds me... I've got to go put a bunch of those in the ground today...

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks everyone! That's exactly what I did with it...in the ground you go to make me some more! That's what I love about SoCal, just take a walk around the block and see what you can find!! Here's a couple more...

Ice Plant
1288833681162.jpg

RED APPLE
APTENIA CORDIFOLIA...Maybe??
1288833719178.jpg

1288834104199.jpg

Sorry it's night so the pics aren't the best quality, I'll take more tomorrow.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I got a question... does lowes or home depot sell the opuntia? i would like to get some tomorrow and start feeding Buster this.

Thank you :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I have rarely seen it there.. start looking around in yards where you live. I see it everywhere..
I snagged a few pads and cut them in half, let them dry and planted them in the road median..
I now have two nice plants to harvest from....
Those thorn can be singed off easily over a hot burner on the stove.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Ok, i wish they did cause it would be easier to do lol. I have seen one cactus that looks just like it so i'll get a pad tomorrow and probably post it to make sure it is Opuntia.

Also, how long are the pads good for when you cut them off?

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I don't recall ever seeing it at Home Depot or Lowes before. I have seen it at nursery's, but if you can find it growing somewhere it's pretty easy to just snag a little to transplant. I will definitely be going back to my neighbors for more until mine gets some good growth on it. I just stuck it in some porous planting mixture, am I suppose to let it sit out for awhile before trying to root it??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's what I've been told to do with them and it works for me. After you cut the pad off the main plant leave it somewhere dry for a couple of weeks so the fresh cut portion can scar over really well. Now I've waited as little as 10 days or as much as 4 months and it works just fine either way. Then dig a little hole and put one third to one half of the pad, scar side down into regular dry dirt. I build a little basin around them when I fill it back in. Don't water it for at least one month. Just leave it alone whether it sprouts new pads or does nothing. For most people water about once a week over the summer and once a month, if it doesn't rain, over the winter. I have to water mine 2 or 3 times a week during the summers here, but that's not normal. If you have rabbits or squirrels around make a ring of chicken wire and stake it in place over the cactus. I only go about 18" high with the chicken wire, so that the new pads sticking off to the sides will be above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.