Orchid bark????

J H

5 Year Member
I went to bachmans my local garden center and bought orchid bard (fine grade) and put it in Roxys tank on top of the organic soil. It had a very strong smell not like pine but very strong. The bag didn't list what kind of wood it was so I took it out to be safe. I got all but a few chunks out and some of the dust. Does anyone know if this brand is ok? Tropical forest image.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The ingredients should be listed. It should say "Fir bark."

Unless that is a tiny bag, that doesn't look like fine grade.

J H

5 Year Member
This is a generic photo. There is NO ingredients listed anywhere on the bag at all. The stuff I bought was fine grade. Very Small chips.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm…

If you are unsure about it, the safe bet would be to get something else. Perhaps you could find another different type that does list the ingredients and compare the two.

J H

5 Year Member
I removed as much as possible. I just left the organic dirt in the enclosure. I think I'll just stick with that. It's a mess but safer than the alternative. Do I need to remove the dirt also? Is it contaminated?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I removed as much as possible. I just left the organic dirt in the enclosure. I think I'll just stick with that. It's a mess but safer than the alternative. Do I need to remove the dirt also? Is it contaminated?

We don't know that anything was wrong with what you had, so I would not consider anything contaminated.

And orchid bark is safer than soil anyway.

Its just that you aren't sure that what you've got there is plain, regular orchid bark, and I can't tell from way over here.

J H

5 Year Member
I'll see if anywhere else local sells bark. If needed I'll go to a pet store. Prices are higher which is fine but that's fine. Just want it to be safe!!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'll see if anywhere else local sells bark. If needed I'll go to a pet store. Prices are higher which is fine but that's fine. Just want it to be safe!!!
I never had any luck finding Orchid Bark in my area . I bought "Reptibark" at Petsmart it was more expensive , but it has worked fine for me . Sometimes you have no choice but to go with what is available to you !

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I never had any luck finding Orchid Bark in my area . I bought "Reptibark" at Petsmart it was more expensive , but it has worked fine for me . Sometimes you have no choice but to go with what is available to you !

This is the route I had to go as well. I've been to a few different places with no luck.

shehick

Alaska
Amazon has reptibark (orchid bark) for $15/24qts I couldn't find it locally either so I went that route.

J H

5 Year Member
I just took all the soil out and went with coco coir. Cheap and readily available

Myakoda

AZ.
The ingredients should be listed. It should say "Fir bark."

Unless that is a tiny bag, that doesn't look like fine grade.
Hi Tom, I'm ordering Orchid bark again. I think this is one you recommended. However it doesn't say organic like last time? I will order if ok, after hearing from you. It's been awhile since we ordered some, looks the same. I'm concerned it doesn't say 100%, or organic. Perhaps they changed the labeling? I found this on Amazon. Also Mya's home will be finished soon, yay!! Happy New Year!

Attachments

• 91KYoZTrIuL._AC_SY606_.jpg
    91KYoZTrIuL._AC_SY606_.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 42

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, I'm ordering Orchid bark again. I think this is one you recommended. However it doesn't say organic like last time? I will order if ok, after hearing from you. It's been awhile since we ordered some, looks the same. I'm concerned it doesn't say 100%, or organic. Perhaps they changed the labeling? I found this on Amazon. Also Mya's home will be finished soon, yay!! Happy New Year!
Label says "100% fir bark" and "fine grade", so it looks okay to me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a HOME DEPOT nearby?
These are what I use
And it's very inexpensive
Just a few bucks
It has no strong smell and has been very a consistent quality over the years.
Get the pure POTTING MEDIA
Not the one that say POTTING MIX. It has other ingredients in it.

Attachments

• 20191221_162920.jpg
    20191221_162920.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 40

Myakoda

AZ.
Label says "100% fir bark" and "fine grade", so it looks okay to me.
Have you used this paticular one? I remember ordering the same one last year, the only difference was it said organic on the bag. If there's a brand you use, would you mind posting? Then I'll check for that brand before I order. Thank you Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you used this paticular one? I remember ordering the same one last year, the only difference was it said organic on the bag. If there's a brand you use, would you mind posting? Then I'll check for that brand before I order. Thank you Tom.
I get mine here at a local nursery. Nobody els seems to be able to get it elsewhere.
Orchid Bark.JPG

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I guess it depends on where ur at. Its hard to find it in the east coast in bulk. I also notice that cypress seems to absorb the water better in my experience.. i find myself having to turn the mulch more often since i switched over to orchid bark

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
But i like that its more uniform and doesnt have the the chance of sharp edges causing injury. So i guess both have pros and cons

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I guess it depends on where ur at. Its hard to find it in the east coast in bulk. I also notice that cypress seems to absorb the water better in my experience.. i find myself having to turn the mulch more often since i switched over to orchid bark
I don't turn mine ever. I just dump water into as needed. The lower layers stay wetter and the top is dry-ish.