Organ meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I know Ive read that organ meat is a good source of protein for the RFs, my question is would you boil this meat like you would chicken for them or would you serve it raw? I was thinking about picking up some livers for them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Anja liver has a bit to much cholesterol to be fed very often http://www.answers.com/topic/beef-liver . If you want to feed organ, than try heart. It's low fat and plenty of protein. You should be able to feed heart raw. You can even get it at better petshops as they sell it packaged to feed to fish. :D
It's cheaper at a good butcher shop though.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
egyptiandan said:
Anja liver has a bit to much cholesterol to be fed very often http://www.answers.com/topic/beef-liver . If you want to feed organ, than try heart. It's low fat and plenty of protein. You should be able to feed heart raw. You can even get it at better petshops as they sell it packaged to feed to fish. :D
It's cheaper at a good butcher shop though.

Danny

You can get it a most Grosery stores just ask the butcher Just remember some of our beef has hormones etc fed to them.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks Danny, I appreciate it. Beef heart was another one I was considering picking up.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
How about pinkys or fuzzys? That way they get the complete package (muscle, organ, and calcium.)

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Itort said:
How about pinkys or fuzzys? That way they get the complete package (muscle, organ, and calcium.)

Yup I have over 200 snakes, there are always extras in the freezer. ;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I found out early on the redfoots don't hesitate to eat mice when I had a redtail boa drop one in their enclosure.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Organ meat is high in minerals witch can be bad for tortoises. It can cause kidney stones and liver & kidney damage. There is a dry brand of cat food that Terry recomends on Redfoots.com check it out. Its the best thing for protein.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio won't eat the cat food at all...he just smells it and sits there for a while and then goes into his hidey, and stays there all day. He loves greens days, and tolerates fruit day, but doesn't eat hardly anything on protean day. On greens day he is very active and comes out to eat the leftovers in the afternoon. Now what? Any suggestions? Thanks

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sorry but cat food is developed for cats IE MAMMALS, I really cant go along with that. I dont think Ive ever seen a pic of a tort in the wild running up to the cat food bowl. ;) Redfoots eat carrion when they run across it. Occasional organ meat should be fine, its not an every day staple.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 7 rescued cherry head and regular red foot babies about 1 or 2 years old. I set them up in two rubbermaid tubs and some how or another I must've included a pregnant cricket in their substrate. I noticed a couple days later that there were many...many smaller than pinhead crickets running all over one of the habitats. I have seen the little RF's eating baby crickets. They also eat butter worms and cut up night crawlers. (a suggestion if you don't want to feed them cat food)

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Oh they are getting a varied diet, including crickets and worms. I just wanted to add another variance in, as in the organ meat. ;)

PS: Yvonne youve got me ooogling over Mtn Torts right now and trying to figure out how I can fit them into my future tort plans! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JustAnja said:
PS: Yvonne youve got me ooogling over Mtn Torts right now and trying to figure out how I can fit them into my future tort plans! :)

They are similar to box turtles in their personalities. But they are VERY VERY slow and quite prehistoric. I have a bird flight in the same lath house where the Burmese houses are and one morning at zero dark thirty as I was tending to the birds prior to leaving for work I just had an inkling that I needed to look down at my leg. It was dark...about 5:30a, and there were no tortoises around when I started filling the bird's feeders. The largest female Burmese had crept up on me and was about to take a bite out of my leg. Thank goodness they are so slow. I was able to save myself!!

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Is chicken hearts OK, or just beef? Also should I sprinkle some calcium on the hearts? I would only do this once a week.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Chicken hearts are just fine too Terry :D

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
JustAnja said:

They are similar to box turtles in their personalities. But they are VERY VERY slow and quite prehistoric. I have a bird flight in the same lath house where the Burmese houses are and one morning at zero dark thirty as I was tending to the birds prior to leaving for work I just had an inkling that I needed to look down at my leg. It was dark...about 5:30a, and there were no tortoises around when I started filling the bird's feeders. The largest female Burmese had crept up on me and was about to take a bite out of my leg. Thank goodness they are so slow. I was able to save myself!!

Yvonne

Thats quite comical Yvonne! Eventually I want a larger species but not quite as large as an Aldabra until I own my own land and have tons of space to dedicate to them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JustAnja said:
Itort said:

Yup I have over 200 snakes, there are always extras in the freezer. ;)

I think my RFs are starting to bribe the Ball Python to make his hunger strikes longer. :D

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Redfootedboxturtles said:
I would never feed my red foots organ meat.

And thats your choice, we all have that choice to make. I would never feed my Redfoots something that was developed for Mammals. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.