organic means safe right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, i was just in the store and noticed the only organic item they have is parsely and other herbs I ended up buy the parsely is it ok for leos?

Also she said it isnt fertilized the whole package says organic but i see little white things tiny tiny ones can organic be fertilized?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not necessarily. Anyone can put up a sign, and who's going to check?

I never buy organic produce. It costs more. All you have to do is take your regular produce home and wash it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Unfortunately Parsley is not good for tortoises and should not be fed See here

Organic foods can be fertilised, but what is used is strictly controlled.

I treat organic as an ideal. I can only feed Joe entirely untreated food when I pick stuff I grow or weeds from my garden. It is not always possible to feed him entirely organically. I always wash all his food thoroughly, but that cannot remove fertilisers absorbed by shop bought stuff. I have to hope that if it's safe for me to eat then it's also safe for Joe.

There is a greater risk with garden and pot plants as they don't have to be grown using food safe fertilisers. These should be grown on in organic soil for at least a month before feeding.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Thanks for the info I won't plant it in his house. It's so hard find something I can plant that's not fertilized

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
3 choices :)

1. Grow things from seed in organic soil
2. Buy a plant like a spider plant that is safe to eat. Wash all the soil off the roots and replant in organic soil. Grow on for a month before planting in your table.
3. Buy a tray of living lettuce from your supermarket. It's safe for you to eat, so just rinse the plants carefully to remove residue on the leaves and then place the tray of lettuce in your table.

:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I only purchase certified organic here...for the people and any offerings to the torts and turtles....:D. Just my personal choice....I do not believe the "if its ok for me its ok for the torts" well, because we don't know the long term affect we will suffer from all of the long term exposure to the numerous chemicals used in growing non organic....I personally would rather not chance it...:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
ascott said:
I only purchase certified organic here...for the people and any offerings to the torts and turtles....:D. Just my personal choice....I do not believe the "if its ok for me its ok for the torts" well, because we don't know the long term affect we will suffer from all of the long term exposure to the numerous chemicals used in growing non organic....I personally would rather not chance it...:D

Each to their own budget.. Joe and I have racked up a century between us so far... organic wasn't available in shops when we started out! :D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Not Always Many Company's just add that logo and charge a little more..
You have to read what it says on the back and figure out if its all natureal organic stuff.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Joesmom....I totally understand the budget thing too (I was laid off) ...I take away other things to make sure I can provide in the places that are important to me.....also I am sure costs for organics can be different from place to place...here I have a great health store that is actually not too different in cost than the regular market produce isle...also..I try to encourage grazing as long as possible for the CDTs until they have munched down all of the weeds and grass or it dies off because of our desert heat...then I do step in with the supplemental food offerings...so yes I understand...:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'll be honest and say Joe's diet is 90% or more garden... No fertilisers or pesticides there. It's only this winter when he wasn't able to hibernate for the first time ever that the percentage changed. As the weather improves he is eating more and more weeds and the veg bill is reducing.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There are many types if fern so it is best to look up the exact plant name on the Tortoise Table Plant Database

As a rule of thumb, shiny leaves and plants that have bulbs are not good food. It's not an infallible rule, but it does help Some plants with dull leaves are poisonous too unfortunately. If you can't find it on the tortoise table, don't feed to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.