Hermann turtle swollen eyes

Orla

Location (City and/or State)
Cork, ireland
Hi,
I am newish to keeping turtles. I have 2 box turtles.
1 a Hermann’s species, in the past week I have noticed her eyes have closed & some swelling?
What can I do to help fix this? I have been soaking her in warm water. I have rang vets, but have failed to find an exotic pet vet.
Any tips welcome.
I have ordered eye drops online but they’ll take 2 weeks to arrive.
Thanks in advance,
Very worried owner
Órla

Attachments

• IMG_9392.jpeg
    IMG_9392.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9393.jpeg
    IMG_9393.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Substrate, lighting and low humidity are the top causes of eye irritation.

So, what substrate do you use? What kind of lighting and heat you use? And what is the humidity of your tortoises enclousure?

Also, how many toes/nails does your tortoise have? He looks like a Russian tortoise, which have really similar care to hermanns tortoises.

Orla

Cork, ireland
Substrate, lighting and low humidity are the top causes of eye irritation.

So, what substrate do you use? What kind of lighting and heat you use? And what is the humidity of your tortoises enclousure?

Also, how many toes/nails does your tortoise have? He looks like a Russian tortoise, which have really similar care to hermanns tortoises.
I have a uv lamp over the enclosure & also a heated mat under the substrate. My tortoise has 4 toes. Here’s a picture of the substrate. Taken earlier this year.

I’m just surprised that his eyes have closed so fast only within the past week & I’m worried that because he can’t see, he’s not eating

Grateful for any help/advice given

Attachments

• IMG_9397.png
    IMG_9397.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have a uv lamp over the enclosure & also a heated mat under the substrate. My tortoise has 4 toes. Here’s a picture of the substrate. Taken earlier this year.

I’m just surprised that his eyes have closed so fast only within the past week & I’m worried that because he can’t see, he’s not eating

Grateful for any help/advice given
Hello!
Those tortoises on the photo - are not box turtles. Their primary diet is leafy greens. Fruit and insects/worms should not be fed on regular basis if ever.

Closed eyes can be due vitamin A deficiency if they don't eat enough greens.