Orphan Sulcata finds home

steam roller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We have a new friend in our yard. On returning from Publix early one evening and parking in my usual space, I looked up to see a sight that was totally foreign; a sulcata tortoise. Not knowing what to make of this new visitor and despite the property being home to numerous fish, birds and reptiles, we look to the internet for information. We have had him for about two months now and although his repeated attempts of escape have been thwarted I am mostly concerned that one day he will succeed. I did not want this tortoise nor did I ask for him but he is slowly making a place in my heart and before that happens, I want to be sure he will be safe and well fed. I have found this web site and will be reading all of the posts on the Sulcata in hopes to gain more information. Thanks in advance to all who have shared information here.

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
We don't know his age but suspect around ten years. He weighs around 20lbs (still liftable) and is most likely a male who was on the hunt for a female. He is quite docile, and is very friendly and taken to sleeping in the garage with the hot water heater on these chilly South Florida nights. That said, l would like to introduce "Herman"

Attachments

• 20141010_173014.jpg
    20141010_173014.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 31

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Of course, there's no way to know for sure, but there is a bit of a problem in Florida with people just releasing the animals they don't want to care for anymore. I suspect that's what happened to Herman.

He looks very nice and I can see why he's taking over a spot next to your heart.

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Joyce welcome to the TFO from AZ . Be care full most of us started out with one turtle or tortoise and now here we are . But have a great tort day !

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
That was my feeling, that he was 'dropped' off. Other theories include he 'floated' in since we live on a tidal creek with no seawalls.

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
That was my feeling, that he was 'dropped' off. Other theories include he 'floated' in since we live on a tidal creek with no seawalls.

Hello Joyce welcome to the TFO from AZ . Be care full most of us started out with one turtle or tortoise and now here we are . But have a great tort day !
Yes and I started out with one cat and ended up with four, which is where I drew the limit. Too old to be 'cat woman' and too young to be the 'cat lady'.

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks Pam. The most amazing thing is that he goes to sleep at 4;30 and doesn't rise till 9am, then grazes your yard unattended all day. That doesn't mean I don't worry, but certainly makes him an easier animal to care for.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! :) So your not wanting him to make an escape, perhaps if you tell us how your keeping him contained we might be able to make suggestions. I am so glad for him that he found a soft hearted person.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Joyce
You like me know that 1955 isn't a tire size . Any one can have cats . But you have a lawn mower thy stands by you rain or shine . And with it you will always get the last word :)

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
Of course, there's no way to know for sure, but there is a bit of a problem in Florida with people just releasing the animals they don't want to care for anymore. I suspect that's what happened to Herman.

He looks very nice and I can see why he's taking over a spot next to your heart.

Hi and welcome! :) So your not wanting him to make an escape, perhaps if you tell us how your keeping him contained we might be able to make suggestions. I am so glad for him that he found a soft hearted person.
Honestly I got on this blog because I wanted to find a new home for Herman. I said in an earlier post that I was most worried about his escape and that is true but quite frankly only because I don't want to be know in the family circle as the Tortoise killer.

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
I would like to as you say rehome him, yes. We called fish and game and they said to re-direct him to the woods, ha ha. The zoo won't accept live animal donations from the public and I will not sell him on the internet. So far we are doing the best with what we have but it seems its not good enough. I am in touch with a woman through the wildlife care center who says they are popular and more than likely she will be able to find him a home. I will not sell him over the internet or craigs list, I just couldn't.

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
The yard is largely fenced in but also runs along an unfenced creek for some ways until it hits a mangrove swamp. It is mostly fenced with wood but a few places have chain link, which according Tom the dog trainer, isn't good enough. We could build him a pen but I'm not sure this is an option my significant other would go for, in addition to being a liftime commitment, which after two dogs and five cats im not sure I'm up to.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Which ever way you decide to go (keep him or rehome him), I am just glad you found him at this point. The chain link fence can sometimes work, it's a lot to do with each tortoise's mind set (it's just usually not the best option, but better then none). With the trouble Florida has with nonnative wildlife taking over, I am saddened by Fish and Games thoughts to just turn it loose. If you need help trying to rehome him, we do have a special section for that.