Orphan Sulcata

steam roller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We have a new friend in our yard. On returning from Publix early one evening and parking in my usual space, I looked up to see a sight that was totally foreign; a sulcata tortoise. Not knowing what to make of this new visitor and despite the property being home to numerous fish, birds and reptiles, we look to the internet for information. We have had him for about two months now and although his repeated attempts of escape have been thwarted I am mostly concerned that one day he will succeed. I did not want this tortoise nor did I ask for him but he is slowly making a place in my heart and before that happens, I want to be sure he will be safe and well fed. I have found this web site and will be reading all of the posts on the Sulcata in hopes to gain more information. Thanks in advance to all who have shared information here.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
When he/she tries to escape is it digging or something else? If its digging starting a burrow for him away from the edge of the yard may help.. Also they dont tunnel back up. Usually when they dig its one way in and out. From what I know anyway.. Im not an expert. Also if you can block the torts view with boards he wont try to escape so much. If they can see through the fence they will try to get through it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I love when stuff like that happens to people. Back in 1985, a California desert tortoise strolled into my yard...hung out all fall and winter...before disappearing under our house (elevated foundation you know)...then emerged in late March only to move on! If noone claims him, I hope you'll keep him! Even if someone claims him, I hope you'll keep him anyway ;)