Our journey to health and recovery

amberbedgood

Location (City and/or State)
Fl
I have had my baby sulcata for 21 days. His/her name is Cy. We had our appointment with the vet today. Things look promising. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. Dr said it was an abscess, sending it off to be tested for aw just to be sure. Said that everything else seems to be in perfect working order. Cy is perfect in every other way but is face. His treatment will consist of a topical ointment on the site every 8 hours and an antibiotic injection every other day. The pictures I am attaching are in chronological order from Cy's first day with me to his first week, second week, and then today.

Attachments

• Resized_20220211_200232.jpeg
    Resized_20220211_200232.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220218_192702.jpg
    20220218_192702.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220302_121049.jpg
    20220302_121049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-1196123255.jpg
    Snapchat-1196123255.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 14

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have had my baby sulcata for 21 days. His/her name is Cy. We had our appointment with the vet today. Things look promising. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. Dr said it was an abscess, sending it off to be tested for aw just to be sure. Said that everything else seems to be in perfect working order. Cy is perfect in every other way but is face. His treatment will consist of a topical ointment on the site every 8 hours and an antibiotic injection every other day. The pictures I am attaching are in chronological order from Cy's first day with me to his first week, second week, and then today.
Where did you get this tortoise? I hate to say it but it looks similar to austwickia we're seeing going around, @mastershake

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
do remember you cant test for aw from a scrape of skin. it has to be an actual piece of skin and as deep as possible. so if they only did a scrape or an aspiration it may come back as non aw when it can actually still be that. some vets do not know this and will attempt to test for it with a simple scraping. that rarely works.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
also i hate to add that does not look like any normal abscess ive seen literally hundreds or more abscess' in my years as a vet tech and this def looks like more then that. not saying its aw but we have seen cases of aw that do look almost exactly like this.

amberbedgood

Fl
do remember you cant test for aw from a scrape of skin. it has to be an actual piece of skin and as deep as possible. so if they only did a scrape or an aspiration it may come back as non aw when it can actually still be that. some vets do not know this and will attempt to test for it with a simple scraping. that rarely works.
They took a chunk

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
ok good. let hope it was deep enough. keep me posted.