Our Power is Out ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Boulder, CO was -7 degrees F last night & about 2 inches of snow. We usually get this kind of weather around Christmas & January. I've gotten suntans in February. Not this year.

Stay safe & warm!!
Here in Chicago we have over two feet already and blizzards all day today adding another 8-12 inches. Wind chills -30's temps -single to double digits.
Just another rare winter in the great city of Chicago.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Living in hurricane central and also being a retired mechanic I reccomend buying a generator of at least 3,500 watts running power with a real HONDA engine.
Buy it with a brushless generator head if possible.
The extra few bucks will be offset in 10 years when you're still using that same unit.
My Honda powered Baldor generator has kept us cool through several outages of 2 weeks plus. And it still starts right up on the first pull and in 15 minutes I can whip it out of the garage, bring it to my back patio, gas it up and go.
I can't stop hurricanes. But I don't ever truly lose power.
(And I light my gas stove with a match)
The only real trick is to buy one when no one else is....Like NOT when everyone has no power.

Ahwahnee

CA
Good conversation and reminder to be prepared. Here in California rolling blackouts are necessary and fairly often. Hope things get better soon out your way.

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
No power at the moment however we've had a few hours with power since yesterday. We have the tort in the bathroom in this tub with a pack of warm water.
20210216_124550.jpg

She seems fine for right now. I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on feeding her. I'm worried that she might get constipated without high enough temperatures. The last time she ate was yesterday morning.

Violanna

Texas
Texas here as well, we just lost our power as well. Luckily my tortoise is in a fully sealed enclosure. But temps have already dropped to 74 in his hide and 68 in the rest. Hoping our house doesn’t get too cold.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
No power at the moment however we've had a few hours with power since yesterday. We have the tort in the bathroom in this tub with a pack of warm water.
View attachment 318466

She seems fine for right now. I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on feeding her. I'm worried that she might get constipated without high enough temperatures. The last time she ate was yesterday morning.

DO NOT feed - you do not know the exact temperature in her digestive, metabolic, and circulatory organs. Several days without a full stomach is no problem.

Verify that the temperature on the surface of any heating packs is in the Safe zone for your species so that there are no localized thermal burns to the scales.

Hang in there gang - just a reminder to folks who's climate is changing from Warm->Cold: carbon monoxide is a gravely serious risk when you are trying to use household items with open flames to heat. Running cars, kitchen and camping stoves, grills, fire pits: all will produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide when used indoors. You will not smell it or see it.

People with few/small animals should consider bugging out to a heated hotel is your energy provider is warning that you have several more days to go.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
View attachment 318466

It shouldn't affect her at all. Keep her as warm as you can, and wait out the weather

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you for the hand warmers reminder, I will have to get mine out. Round 2 of ice storm hitting here tomorrow morning.

JenC

Horseshoe Bay TX
Our power is out in Texas thanks to the bizarre weather. It almost never gets this cold here so we don't have back up generator or anything to keep the enclosure warm

We had to wrap up tortellini just in case. It's already 60 degrees in her enclosure. There's no telling when the power will come back on

Wish us luck! View attachment 318338
This is crazy the ice and snow we’re getting!
Thank God for some reason we still have heat and water. My 78 year old Mom has been here....trapped with her is making me bonkers!!! Glad she’s here, but....I should’ve stockpiled the wine ?

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
I saw something this morning on FB from a Texas friend - put a few candles under a plant pot made of terra cotta. Keep the candles off the floor/ground with cinder blocks or bricks, and it works great as a heat source. The people said it was heating an entire room. Might be worth a shot, and it's a cheap fix.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
We're a little south of San Antonio. Power still on but the heater went out in one of my tortoise houses, lost that tortoise before we realized it was out. With 11 degree weather it doesn't take long for them to get too cold. I put everyone else in my bathroom. It's 86 degrees in there. They are not happy but at least I know for sure they are alive and warm. My 2 little bantum chickens didn't make it either. Quails, pigs, goats, and Bostons all cozied up. But crazy chihuahuas are all out playing in the snow. Yorkies just peek out the doggie door. Cats bring mice in out of cold, don't know if they're trying to save them or eat them. lol Next time we will be better prepared.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I saw something this morning on FB from a Texas friend - put a few candles under a plant pot made of terra cotta. Keep the candles off the floor/ground with cinder blocks or bricks, and it works great as a heat source. The people said it was heating an entire room. Might be worth a shot, and it's a cheap fix.

Here you go...

RedDipper

Louisiana
Our power is out in Texas thanks to the bizarre weather. It almost never gets this cold here so we don't have back up generator or anything to keep the enclosure warm

We had to wrap up tortellini just in case. It's already 60 degrees in her enclosure. There's no telling when the power will come back on

Wish us luck! View attachment 318338
We are in Louisiana. Our power has been flickering. Because of hurricane laura we had an electrician install a plug into our circut box outside for a generator. If it goes out i can power the heat in the house. So blankets will be our little guys go to. Its 7 degrees right now. 60 in the house. So i added more moss to the hide and Dipper has been hiding for the last few days. I soak in warm water and he eats. Plays a bit in his blanket then back to his hidey hole. All we can do is keep the warm and fed. Goodluck. Remember ypu gotta stay warm too.