Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Happy birthday my friend!!!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I’m concerned that Dzwɛtei's pyramiding is getting worse. I am not sure what to do. I think getting a new enclosure might be the best option, but we are not in a position to do that currently. What else can I do?
Some background: We received D as a hatchling about 2 months old, and he/she will be 9 months old tomorrow.
Enclosure: repurposed cabinet, lined with pvc board on the inside. A little over 4 ft long, by 1.5 ft wide. Height 18”
Heat/lighting: Radiant heat panel on wall set on a thermostat to 82 degrees. Temp stays from 82+ degrees. Humidity stays 88+. Using a Zoo med 10.0 UVB (only on for 1-2 hours 3 days a week). Heat lamp is a smaller 45-watt flood bulb. LED strip light for ambient lighting. I took D outside a few times during the spring/summer for like 20-30 minutes, but this was not consistent.
Substrate, plants, etc cover: Reptibark, three live plants (2 pothos, one spider), 2 artificial. Humid hide is upside down washing tub.
Food: Escarole, Endive, Spring mix, Artisan lettuce, Radicchio, Arugula, dandelion, cactus pads, chayote, Weeds (clover, plantain, violet, dandelion), Mazuri original and grassland tortoise food at least once, but occasionally twice a week. Cuttle bone (never seen it eaten), sprinkle calcium with Mazuri. Currently out, but also had used Kapidolo Farms dried products.
Daily routine: Soak around 30 minutes each morning, spray shell a few times throughout the day. Use pressed organic coconut oil on the shell once a week. Feed in the morning, and water dished dumped and refilled each morning.

I ran the enclosure for a month and a half before the star arrived. Moved things around to check humidity and temps. When D arrived, I ended up changing things around again. I changed it around again today, although now D has favored under the heat lamp, which was never the case before. I think the previous way was a bit better, but at this point it's probably just all wrong 😞.

IMG_6661.jpgIMG_6662.jpgIMG_5023 2.JPGIMG_6045 2.jpgIMG_6657.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I think he looks great, however I don't own a star. Hopefully an expert will be able to help and let you know if he is pyramiding.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I’m concerned that Dzwɛtei's pyramiding is getting worse. I am not sure what to do. I think getting a new enclosure might be the best option, but we are not in a position to do that currently. What else can I do?
Some background: We received D as a hatchling about 2 months old, and he/she will be 9 months old tomorrow.
Enclosure: repurposed cabinet, lined with pvc board on the inside. A little over 4 ft long, by 1.5 ft wide. Height 18”
Heat/lighting: Radiant heat panel on wall set on a thermostat to 82 degrees. Temp stays from 82+ degrees. Humidity stays 88+. Using a Zoo med 10.0 UVB (only on for 1-2 hours 3 days a week). Heat lamp is a smaller 45-watt flood bulb. LED strip light for ambient lighting. I took D outside a few times during the spring/summer for like 20-30 minutes, but this was not consistent.
Substrate, plants, etc cover: Reptibark, three live plants (2 pothos, one spider), 2 artificial. Humid hide is upside down washing tub.
Food: Escarole, Endive, Spring mix, Artisan lettuce, Radicchio, Arugula, dandelion, cactus pads, chayote, Weeds (clover, plantain, violet, dandelion), Mazuri original and grassland tortoise food at least once, but occasionally twice a week. Cuttle bone (never seen it eaten), sprinkle calcium with Mazuri. Currently out, but also had used Kapidolo Farms dried products.
Daily routine: Soak around 30 minutes each morning, spray shell a few times throughout the day. Use pressed organic coconut oil on the shell once a week. Feed in the morning, and water dished dumped and refilled each morning.

I ran the enclosure for a month and a half before the star arrived. Moved things around to check humidity and temps. When D arrived, I ended up changing things around again. I changed it around again today, although now D has favored under the heat lamp, which was never the case before. I think the previous way was a bit better, but at this point it's probably just all wrong 😞.

View attachment 350541View attachment 350542View attachment 350543View attachment 350544View attachment 350545
bump

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

View attachment 350541View attachment 350542View attachment 350543View attachment 350544View attachment 350545
I am no expert, but I do have a Burmese Star that is 4 1/2 years old and I’ve raised him from a hatchling. I kept the humidity at 80+% at all times, but he still has some pyramiding. I think a key element is watch the UVB and provide lots of live plants in the enclosure. Plants can provide 100% humidity if positioned right. I would also recommend “tortoise shell saver” conditioner and apply this to his shell at least once per week. Once I provided these elements, the pyramiding stopped, but the early pyramiding will never go away. I think stars are very prone to pyramiding in general compared to other tortoise species.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am no expert, but I do have a Burmese Star that is 4 1/2 years old and I’ve raised him from a hatchling. I kept the humidity at 80+% at all times, but he still has some pyramiding. I think a key element is watch the UVB and provide lots of live plants in the enclosure. Plants can provide 100% humidity if positioned right. I would also recommend “tortoise shell saver” conditioner and apply this to his shell at least once per week. Once I provided these elements, the pyramiding stopped, but the early pyramiding will never go away. I think stars are very prone to pyramiding in general compared to other tortoise species.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Do you know if using coconut oil is equivalent to the “tortoise shell saver?”

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
She is looking so good! How much does she weigh now?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
She is looking so good! How much does she weigh now?
Thanks! Still concerned about the pyramiding :(.
I’m not sure how much D weighs. I’ll probably check in a couple weeks.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Okay just checking on the weight. I can see why you are concerned about the pyramiding. I know you are doing what you are supposed to do, some just get pyramiding more... She is cute. 🥰

AmandaF

Congresbury
I’m beyond excited to introduce our long awaited new addition! This little gem arrived on March 17th from Garden State Tortoise, and is healthy, very active, and not shy at all. Upon arriving, we gave him a nice warm soak, he drank immediately, then once we put him into its new home, went exploring a bit and ate like a pig. I weighed him the next morning at 32 grams, length a little less than 2 inches. He’s been pooping regularly, eating, roaming, burrowing, and eating some more since last week. We are very excited to have Dzwɛtei (Jooweh-tay…that’s the best I can try to write out the pronunciation). It means “gem” in Ga. Thank you again @HermanniChris for our little gem. He’s wonderful and was worth the wait :):tort::<3:.View attachment 342127View attachment 342128View attachment 342129View attachment 342124
He is gorgeous

AmandaF

Congresbury
I’m beyond excited to introduce our long awaited new addition! This little gem arrived on March 17th from Garden State Tortoise, and is healthy, very active, and not shy at all. Upon arriving, we gave him a nice warm soak, he drank immediately, then once we put him into its new home, went exploring a bit and ate like a pig. I weighed him the next morning at 32 grams, length a little less than 2 inches. He’s been pooping regularly, eating, roaming, burrowing, and eating some more since last week. We are very excited to have Dzwɛtei (Jooweh-tay…that’s the best I can try to write out the pronunciation). It means “gem” in Ga. Thank you again @HermanniChris for our little gem. He’s wonderful and was worth the wait :):tort::<3:.View attachment 342127View attachment 342128View attachment 342129View attachment 342124
Beautiful 🥰