Outdoor area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Gosh, that's shaping up nicely! Yup on the lemon grass.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Today we finished off all the landscaping. Planted some more weeds, plum tree,cherry tree couple of redcurrent trees and another hibiscus, also put some more seeds in, grass,lemongrass, mix of clovers and dandelion seeds. I've got broadleaf and narrowleaf plantain in there. The narrowleaf(Ribwort) is very very hardy, I've noticed this is always the last weed type to survive into the winter, and through the winter in some areas, so I'm going to plant plenty of this weed. (lucky, because my sister in-laws back yard is covered with them):rolleyes:.
i just need to let it grow for a while now, then I can add some mulch in the areas that are bare.

The last photo shows a plant that is really good ground cover,its all over our garden, does anyone know what it is and is it safe. Dawn reckons she has seen our torts and rabbit eating it.
IMG_20160423_163833.jpg IMG_20160423_163838.jpg IMG_20160423_163856.jpg IMG_20160423_163911.jpg IMG_20160423_163946.jpg

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
My guess for the plant in the last photo is some sort of Sedum. And if it is, then some are safe to eat and some aren't from what I have read. My greek tortoise goes nuts for the type shown below but I don't know exactly what it's called. He is in the process of mowing it down from one side to the other as you can see :) upload_2016-4-23_18-41-8.png

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My guess for the plant in the last photo is some sort of Sedum. And if it is, then some are safe to eat and some aren't from what I have read. My greek tortoise goes nuts for the type shown below but I don't know exactly what it's called. He is in the process of mowing it down from one side to the other as you can see :) View attachment 171278

Doing a professional looking trim job there. :p

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My guess for the plant in the last photo is some sort of Sedum. And if it is, then some are safe to eat and some aren't from what I have read. My greek tortoise goes nuts for the type shown below but I don't know exactly what it's called. He is in the process of mowing it down from one side to the other as you can see :) View attachment 171278
I think that the broadleaf sedums tend to be safe, and narrow leaf not safe, at least I haven't seen any to prove this theory otherwise so far

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Today's job was to build a fence around the wall near the bottom end. I used the wood from the old roof rafters in the original building we took down. Looks old and rustic. But good hard wood. Hard to saw anyway, and because we've had a hot day we prematurely let the adults roam in the new outdoor area for 3 or 4 hours.
I had the 3 juveniles out earlier with the adults too. 1 of the adult males keeps trying to bite them. So a close watch is needed, the juveniles just seem to carry on as normal eating and exploring.
Few extra tort photos for ya. There was a lot more weeds this morning.:mad:.
Still a few more things to do. Seedlings have started to grow now.
IMG_20160507_181407.jpg IMG_20160507_181417.jpg IMG_20160507_180253.jpg IMG_20160507_181438.jpg IMG_20160507_180313.jpg IMG_20160507_180116.jpg

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
All of my leopards love this type too. I believe it is telphinum or a closely related sp.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Today we finished off all the landscaping. Planted some more weeds, plum tree,cherry tree couple of redcurrent trees and another hibiscus, also put some more seeds in, grass,lemongrass, mix of clovers and dandelion seeds. I've got broadleaf and narrowleaf plantain in there. The narrowleaf(Ribwort) is very very hardy, I've noticed this is always the last weed type to survive into the winter, and through the winter in some areas, so I'm going to plant plenty of this weed. (lucky, because my sister in-laws back yard is covered with them):rolleyes:.
i just need to let it grow for a while now, then I can add some mulch in the areas that are bare.

The last photo shows a plant that is really good ground cover,its all over our garden, does anyone know what it is and is it safe. Dawn reckons she has seen our torts and rabbit eating it.
View attachment 171237 View attachment 171238 View attachment 171239 View attachment 171240 View attachment 171242
Sedum spurium I believe; should be fine

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sedum spurium I believe; should be fine
Huh, I transplanted some from the garden to the enclosure and they ate it down to the soil instantly. I keep telling dawn we need to let it establish before putting torts in, but oh no. Lol. I'll put some more in

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm about finished with the outdoor area now, just need things to grow them I can decide which areas to put mulch in. Not bothering with any outdoor hides, there should be enough cover with the dense foliage when it's matured, and there is always a shaded area. I'll sort something out better with the water later.
The edibles are.
Smooth Sow thistle.
Dandilion
Red,white and crimson clover
Alfalfa
Broadleaf plantain
Narrowleaf plantain
Wild garlic
Bittercress
Grass
Lemon grass
Thyme
Sedum
Red valerian
Hibiscus
land cress
Mallow
Strawberry
Plum
Cherry
Red current
Fig
Gooseberry

As you can see the garlic went down a treat. One the garlic's has been decimated already.

IMG_20160522_115930.jpg IMG_20160522_115942.jpg IMG_20160522_123944.jpg IMG_20160522_133126.jpg IMG_20160522_133205.jpg IMG_20160522_133158.jpg

Rue

Canada
Beautiful! :<3:

Do you have a hard time rounding them up at night? Do they want to stay outside? Can you find them easily?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Beautiful! :<3:

Do you have a hard time rounding them up at night? Do they want to stay outside? Can you find them easily?
Not at the moment, but when it get dense with foliage I imagine it's going to get hard. In the next few weeks I should be able to let them into the new enclosure, hoping they will come and go as they please.
They don't seem to want to come in, just wander around eating everything:mad: and constantly explore.
I'm a lot happier now.
Ive noticed they love to rub their carapaces on the trees a lot. I may have to create some more low lying objects for them to scratch on. :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not really classed as the torting area, but thought I'd show you. We had a huge pile of rocks up top of the garden. So we've utilised them to make a path. Plus the path hasn't cost me anything :p.
It may give someone somewhere some ideas.
I've left the tree stump in for a tort watching seat.
We are going to seed all around the stones with some hardy climbing type plant. So hopefully I'll end up with a green path with rocks showing through. Does anyone know of a good plant for this, I googled and best I could find was
'brass button plant'.
Still got to finish bottom of path off and build steps at the top with that pile of bricks.
IMG_20160530_185337.jpg