Outdoor enclosure during warmth

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
The cage part itself is a outdoor rabbit cage I bought from bed Bath and beyond. It has 2 doors on the top, one is the entire top half and the other is a smaller door as seen in the pictures. Both of those doors are openable by 180 degrees. There are other doors on the sides but only 1 of them is sort of usable due to being blocked by the solid walls.

I covered the bottom half of all the sides so that my baby leo can't slip through, but also so that predators can't put their claws or limbs through to grab my tort. No flying predator can swoop it up since it has a roof.

The white walls are corrugulated plastic sheets from home Depot. I bought 2 48x24 sheets and like a 24x18 sheet. I used metal galvanized wire to stitch the walls onto the cage wire so the walls are on very tight. There's no spikey ends of the metal wires sticking into the cage, but they do stick outside of the cage. Overall it cost around $190 CAD for the cage and the sheets combined, so quite expensive versus just building a wooden enclosure with a wired top. But I didn't want to use wood so I went this route.

The solid walls naturally create a lot of shade down 1 or 2 of the sides. In these pictures the grass is obviously way to tall, and has to be cut before putting my tort in again on a warm day. I spray the tort a few times throughout the duration of time it spends in the cage, and I leave a water dish in it as well. I also just grab the water dish and put it right in front of the torts mouth and it will drink it as I hold it like that to encourage hydration.

I also spray the torts carapace a few times each time it's out in this cage.

I have locks for 2 large doors on the top of the cage so that an animal can't get inside to grab the tort and run, but I can also easily open the doors myself by unlocking them. All other doors are locked shut.

The rock on top of the cage isn't supposed to be there.IMG_20200523_192937.jpgIMG_20200523_192916.jpgIMG_20200523_192748.jpgIMG_20200523_192724.jpgIMG_20200523_192648.jpgIMG_20200523_192640.jpgIMG_20200523_192633.jpgIMG_20200523_192626.jpgIMG_20200523_192622.jpgIMG_20200523_192618.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Is this for a hatching/Baby?
if so this won’t work... when tortoises are young they should be kept inside in a closed chamber.

Read this link, then come back.

leoturt

Western Canada
Is this for a hatching/Baby?
if so this won’t work... when tortoises are young they should be kept inside in a closed chamber.

Read this link, then come back.

It's for a baby leopard. I have a closed PVC chamber inside for its actual home with high humidity etc (pictures to come). This outdoor cage is only used for an hour or so a day when it's warm enough outside.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It's for a baby leopard. I have a closed PVC chamber inside for its actual home with high humidity etc (pictures to come). This outdoor cage is only used for an hour or so a day when it's warm enough outside.
In that case, you’ll need to watch out don’t leave your tortoise alone. It will end up in a bad scenario.
Good luck!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think it's a very nice play area! It wouldn't keep out rats, but that's OK. I don't think anything is able to do a snatch and run. And you can drag it from spot to spot in the yard, too!