Is this enclosure suitable for my russian/horsefield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Is this enclosure suitable for a male or female Russian tortoise? Of course I will add lighting etc. It looks like a large hamster cage, with the plastic bottom and caged top. I have a dog so the cage/ wire part is important even though my dog is harmless.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think it would be fine for a hatchling but looks quite small in the pic for an older tort.
What are the dimensions? What age/size is your tort?

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
laney said:
I think it would be fine for a hatchling but looks quite small in the pic for an older tort.
What are the dimensions? What age/size is your tort?

You can get large ones like 50 x 100 cm

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Maybe connecting 2 of those end to end by cutting a couple of doorways to connect them. The 20" x 40" doubled will give you a 20" x 80" approx.; that's still on the small side for a Russian.

I think you would be better off building a tort table 3' x 8' and build sliding tops made of wood and 1/2" hardwire cloth. The tops would work much the way windows side but on a horizontal.

Good luck.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
My only concern with that cage and a russian is that Russians are awesome climbers and I'm positive they could climb that wall, and then either be stuck up top or drop down possibly hurting themselves. As for the size that does depend on the age, but indoor enclosures for Russians (any tort really) should be as large as you possibly can, usually 8ftx4ft or there abouts is recommended. If you need a new larger cage but can't afford a big one yet try Rubbermaid 50 gallon totes, you can connect several together and give them a fair amount of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.