Night heating question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny525

5 Year Member
Question about an indoor cage for a Russian Tortoise

Okay, so I am thinking of getting a russian tortoise, and I am not sure what to do for his indoor enclosure. First off, I know the best things are tortoise tables, but the problem is, I have cats, one of which can open the door to the room where I would keep the tortoise. I have a small house, and that is the only room he would be able to stay in while he is indoors (which will be neccessary as it can get cold here). Also, I know aquariums are not suitable because there is not enough ventilation. But, I have this cage from my late hedgehog that is very large and is wire with a plastic bottom. The plastic on the bottom also covers maybe eight inches up the sides. I was curious, would this be a suitable cage for a RT? Thanks!

Penny525

5 Year Member
I am considering getting a russian tortoise, and I am researching everything I need to know beforehand! So, I know about UVA/UVB lights and a heat light for indoors, and I know they are turned off at night, but I was wondering if it is neccessary to have a blacklight that provides heat at night. Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How big is the enclosure? Are you planning on a hatchling or an adult? The heat at night, is also going to be dependent on how warm is your home in that area?

Penny525

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how big the cage is right now. I would say it's about 2' by 4' or maybe a little larger... I would like to get a young tortoise, but I'm not positive yet, and my house is around 65 degrees inside.[/align]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Penny525:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

If your house is too cold for a baby tortoise at night time, a lot of us use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night time. It's a screw-in type unit similar to a light bulb, only without any light, just heat.

If your tortoise is going to be an adult, then a night time drop down to about 68F or 70F probably would be ok.

If you're getting a full grown Russian tortoise, then you need something pretty big. They need a lot of wandering room. Something like a 4/5 shelf book case with the shelves removed, lined with plastic would do fine.

Penny525

5 Year Member
:) You can call me Penny. Thanks for the help! I want to be completely prepared before I get my tortoise!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Unless the room that your Russian tortoise is being kept in gets below 55 degrees at night on a regular basis there is no need for any night time heat source. 60 degrees is fine and if it can't be avoided, 65 is okay, but cooler is better. There should be a good 15-20 degree temperature differential between day and night time temperatures. Once outdoors and acclimated to the local climate even colder temperatures can easily be endured also.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Younger ones are much more sensitive than older ones, so how much night heat is needed depends largely (almost entirely) on how old your Russian is

Status
Not open for further replies.