Outdoor enclosure for my marginated tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
I kinda had an idea in my head and more or less just slapped it together. The redwood is sweet - it matches nicely with the fence. The color will eventually fade to a nice weathered gray.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
It looks very nice Micheal. Your torts seems to enjoy their new "home'' :D. Where did you get the dirt and the leaves? it looks really nice.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
The dirt is the natural soil from my yard. The enclosure sits flush with the earth, so I just used was was there. The leaves are from the coast live oak tree, which the enclosure is positioned under.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
chelonologist said:
The dirt is the natural soil from my yard. The enclosure sits flush with the earth, so I just used was was there. The leaves are from the coast live oak tree, which the enclosure is positioned under.

Thanks for the info Micheal :)

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
awesome pen. I am officially inspired to build some pens! I dont really need any more pens, but I love empty pens because I know "if you build it, they will come" = )

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Wowzerz, Doc, that is one mighty fine home ~ {Do you build large scale for the human types of critters too, lol?}

I was curious, without side ventilation areas, won't it get awful warm in there for your lil guys? Do you plan on adding any interior plants?

Xllnt work, Bud!
Purpod

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
purpod said:
Wowzerz, Doc, that is one mighty fine home ~ {Do you build large scale for the human types of critters too, lol?}

I was curious, without side ventilation areas, won't it get awful warm in there for your lil guys? Do you plan on adding any interior plants?

Xllnt work, Bud!
Purpod

Thanks Purpod! As the redwood dries, it leaves spaces between each board, so it's not a completely enclosed system. The spaces between the boards plus the big screen top give plenty of ventilation. Also, the enclosure is parked in an area that straddles the dripline of my coast live oak tree. So during many parts of the day, at least portions of the enclosure receive shade.

Oh yes, I've been planning my plant list :)
I like growing native California plants in my yard, and I hope to use some edible natives inside the enclosure. The time to plant natives is in October, so I'll have to wait until then. The plants won't replace the diet that I currently give to the tortoises - they'll provide cover and some extra nibbling opportunities. So far my list includes:

California wild grape
California buckwheat (I'll use a low-growing variety)
California fescue
Sticky monkeyflower
California poppy

I'll also introduce a few weed species into the enclosure, including:

Dandelion
Prickly lettuce
Sow thistles (common and prickly)
Plantains (broadleaf and narrowleaf)
Portulaca

Now if I can just keep the weeds from invading other parts of my yard...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Micheal, that is very very nice, now the big BIG question. I live in So CA, can you come build pens for me???? LOL Really it is a very nice pen and your plant list looks great. I went to the sale in Claremont for native california plants It's a wonderful sale and you can get plant as well as seeds. I'll Post the name and address if you are interested (they are at home). They only have a sale once or maybe twice a year. It is associated with the Claremont Colleges.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Crazy1 said:
Micheal, that is very very nice, now the big BIG question. I live in So CA, can you come build pens for me???? LOL Really it is a very nice pen and your plant list looks great. I went to the sale in Claremont for native california plants It's a wonderful sale and you can get plant as well as seeds. I'll Post the name and address if you are interested (they are at home). They only have a sale once or maybe twice a year. It is associated with the Claremont Colleges.

Hey Robyn, are you referring to the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden native plant sale? I LOVE that sale! They usually have stuff that you can't find anywhere else, including many varieties produced by RSABG (http://www.rsabg.org/). I get most of my plants from Theodore Payne (http://www.theodorepayne.org/). Actually, Theodore Pane is having a summer sale today and tomorrow. Might have to venture over there during lunch today....

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Yeah, thanx for the link, Doc!
:cool:
And yeah, I agree, Robin, I've got an enclosure that I am still trying to put together, LOL!

Blessings to All ~
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.