Outdoor enclosure heating

Zack123

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
So I recently built an outdoor enclosure for my three tortoises. And the only problem that occured to me was the heating.

Is there any alternatives to heating? As I live in somewhat cooler climate where the temperature reach around 12 - 13 degrees at night. Does something like hay, paper or blankets keep them warm enough? Or do I actually need something like a heating mat?

Also, anyone who also lives in somewhat cooler climates, how do you with their basking? It's not like the sun will shine everyday in the summer. (Maybe for a few minutes before being covered by clouds again)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I recently built an outdoor enclosure for my three tortoises. And the only problem that occured to me was the heating.

Is there any alternatives to heating? As I live in somewhat cooler climate where the temperature reach around 12 - 13 degrees at night. Does something like hay, paper or blankets keep them warm enough? Or do I actually need something like a heating mat?

Also, anyone who also lives in somewhat cooler climates, how do you with their basking? It's not like the sun will shine everyday in the summer. (Maybe for a few minutes before being covered by clouds again)
What species and size?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We do need to know more like species, size, size of enclosure and pics would help a lot.
However, every tortoise does need heat. They do not produce their own heat so covering them with hay, leaves, etc would not warm them.